Leasing to Flip

Has anyone done a lease with the purpose of flipping it?

Let’s say you get a 36 month deal for $400/mo with $0 DAS while the rubes are typically getting it for $600/mo. Take the the lease and put on LeaseTrader asking for $3000 down. It’s still a great deal for someone with $3K down. You make $3K profit.

Where’s the downside?

Make sure it’s a brand that can transferred. Also, if it can be, make sure you are relieved of all financial responsibility.

1 Like

Horrible idea. Don’t do it. Just for safety, please direct me to this specific car and I will make sure no one gets tied up in this type of messy behavior.

2 Likes

The car gets into an accident
The dealer lags on the plates
The market goes even crazier

And you going to be punching air holding bags :rofl::rofl::rofl:

5 Likes

Do you mean after the lease transfers? Is the original lessee responsible for what happens after?

While it’s in your possession

Well then insurance takes care of it. My scenario is $0 DAS so nothing lost really, other than my time,.

What about the payments you going to eat while the car is in the shop?

If I were to do something like this, I’d drive the car home, park it in my garage and flip. So the probability is pretty small. But yes, you’re right it’s a risk.

1 Like

This :point_up_2:t3:

Plus minimum requirement of 6 months on some brands

And strict requirements for credit approval

1 Like

Just noticed your the dude who wanted to get his daughter a 911
Do you really want to risk it all for “3000” :rofl:

3 Likes

Heh, I didn’t in the end. Got her an Audi instead. She’s slumming it. :slight_smile:
I’m not sure how I’d “risk it all”. Sure there’s risk in everything. Any investment or business opportunity comes with some risk. Worst case scenario with my theoretical plan is I’m stuck with a car for 3 years. Not the worst thing in the world.

Yeah nobody flip cars here.

lol, take a look at the archives, quite a few mortgage payments were made doing this post Covid when the markets were out of alignment. Today the used car market is a lot more normal so flips via leases are a lot harder to find. A lot of former potential flips like 4xes are heavily underwater now. And only a few leasing companies allow transfers or 3rd party sales.

On the Wrangler 4Xe forum a few years back, a guy got rear ended in his 4Xe (I think it was a Yellow One) Wrangler on his way home from the dealership on his way to flip it. Fortunately for him, the market was in his favor and he still came out ahead. Today, that’s not the case. The flip market is long dead for Wranglers.

Some folks appear to be buying Cybertrucks to flip. The Bentley/Rolls-Royce dealer near me had one parked out front on display this morning.

There is definitely risk, of various flavors. Some more complex than others.

As with nearly anything else, things can also change at any time. You may sign a contract and the next day the option to transfers is gone.

1 Like