Leasing on a TN Visa?

We have leases with both bmw and Mercedes while on a tn

1 Like

Did you go through a special program?

What lender will lease him a car for 24/36 months with his visa expiring in 18 months? Did I miss something?

No lender will do that. I was told my visa had to extend past lease term.

That’s what I said. It was rhetorical.

Hit up @Jrouleau426. Not for the i8 mentioned in the thread title, but he can get lenders to only look at credit score.

New Years Special - 2019 Demo i8 Roadster $849 with $849 due at signing! Loyalty Included

My advice is go to another dealer and don’t disclose anything and then just say you’re a citizen if it comes up. I think I remember being asked if I was a citzien for a mortgage, but I don’t remember being asked for leases.

If there is a question about citizenship, just lie and say you’re American. It’s not like the dealership asks for proof or anything. If you’re Canadian, even better, you’re 95% American already :slight_smile:

No harm in calling, but they won’t lease him a car.

Again, “wHy U nO fRaUd” is my favorite LH category.

They ask for SSN when you apply, which is coded as non-resident. Which you don’t need to know or worry about because when they run an OFAC with your credit, it knows.

Feel free to try and report how far you get. You can Uber home with a couple KCups and creamers at the dealership.

1 Like

LOL. No SSN is not coded as non-resident. On the card maybe, but nobody at a dealer asks for a SSN card and nobody at Ally or USBank or wherever is doing a SSN check. I love these myths.

2 Likes

Just FYI, it’s not like I told them because I didn’t even think about it. They must have picked it up from my license which says “temporary visitor” so they are definitely checking something.

OK then that’s a whole different story if the license says that. But based on your SSN alone, nobody would know.

I have known some people work out leases with VW with temporary work visas. Sometimes it can also depend on your employer.

This is the best way to have issue since when apply for visas or green card the form specifically ask if you have ever told you’re US citizen (when obviously you are not)

1 Like

You didn’t provide an SSN number for a credit check to lease a car? Huh must have been some kind of free car give away that day.

Along with a credit check, there are other checks that get run by the dealership. They run everything first and have to comply with all the lawz.

You are missing the point. The SSN is provided for everyone that applies and receives the right of work. If the visa has a work provision you can apply for the SSN. The SSN card will say that an employer must verify your status with INS (or something like that) but no one asks for the actual card these days. In some states the ID or DL doesn’t say anything about legal status so other than one’s accent there is no way of telling if they are residents or not unless you actually check their status.

Here in MA, to obtain an ID or a DL you need to prove you are in the country legally. You also need to present your actual social security card when applying for a license or ID. I recently had to show my legal documents (US passport, SS card, etc) when I applied for the real ID (https://www.mass.gov/guides/rmv-real-id-info-center) instead of just getting a regular license renewal.

1 Like

Again, LOL. Of course I provided a SSN, but there is no verification. First off, INS hasn’t existed for about 20 years, it’s USCIS. Second, there’s no magic code to determine based on SSN if one is a citizen or not. And USCIS doesn’t provide that access to car dealerships. It only gets involved, as you say, for employment related matters. Other than that, nobody cares. There’s no law that says you have to be in the country permanently to lease a car.

Second you’re right DL’s in a handful of states do mention residency, like the OP stated. But based on SSN alone, without the physical card there is no way for a dealer or leasing company to know, or care.

Edit: I was replying to a combination of you and your initial reply, this comments system is wacky.

I’m not missing any point: I’m making it. I’m not talking about the card, I’m talking about the number.

With SSN randomization you can’t tell anymore where a citizen was born like you used to, but you can tell a lot about non-citizens. I used to do 401k and FSA discrimination testing, and would bucket all the Visa holders based on the coding in their SSN.

You can tell the Sales Person your credit is perfect and you’re a citizen, but before you meet the F&I manager they have already run your credit at the dealership (on paper or online more likely). Non-resident bureaus are pretty obvious just by scanning for a few seconds (they don’t SAY it, but someone who looks at credit bureaus all day can spot it by looking at the person’s age, how old the credit file is, and history).

When they run your credit, they run OFAC checks too.

Put another way (to the OP’s point of lying), here is the experiment:

• be a Visa holder whose Visa is expiring sooner than the lease term ends
  • try to lease a car

I am certain you aren’t going home with a car.

If you do manage to find a dealer who spots the car and sends you home, the contract won’t get funded when all the last-pass OFAC/Patriot Act checks get done in final underwriting.

You can’t just pretend you aren’t here on a Visa and lease a car. You aren’t getting that far in the process.

1 Like

Right. This is what i was talking about:

And on your license does it say anything to the effect of “not a us citizen”?