Leasing in Maryland?

VA doesn’t tax rebates though. Which is nice with all the current EV and others rebates hovering around $12-14K

2 Likes

ALL taxation is robbery/theft

2 Likes

Any state that taxes the selling price before rebates is effectively taxing the rebates too. Not sure what VA does but just saying that rebate taxes don’t need to be itemized for them to come out of consumers’ pockets.

Who said VA taxes selling price before rebates? Volvo contract always shows the selling price after all rebates. Rebates are not itemized.

2 Likes

I didn’t realize that. Is there a statute that you know that covers that?

So if using the calc, and living in VA, the $7500 EV credit would go in Untaxed Incentives?

Correct, that’s what I do. But I’m not tax expert :slight_smile:

Rebates are not taxed in VA.

5 Likes

Thank you, our in-house tax attorney, for confirming what I’ve suspected all along lol

4 Likes

I think MD gets taxed on the entire final price. My buddy tried to flip a few jeeps but ended up losing thousands cause the deals had over $3000 in taxes alone on every Jeep. He ended up keeping 2 to just balance out the potential loss

1 Like

In Maryland the best approach is to roll from one lease to the next. Then you only pay the difference in taxes between the value of your old lease and the sale price of the new lease. On the flip side, if you buy out your lease you don’t pay taxes on it since you already paid…

4 Likes

Thank you! Was looking at statutes and didn’t even think to check DMV website…

1 Like

Ok this is good timing. I am looking at leasing through a dealer in MD but I’m a PA resident. Do I pay PA taxes on the monthly payment or am I paying MD taxes upfront on the sale price?

You pay taxes based on where the car will be registered and most often driven (for those of you with MT based businesses)

Ok the car will definitely be registered and driven in PA. Are you positive I would pay PA taxes? Just want to make sure because it greatly affects the quality of the deal.

1 Like

Yes exactly as IAC mentioned

1 Like

100% positive. I do a ton of deals for PA customers out of MD.

1 Like

Thank you all!

1 Like

I am in a conundrum. I leased a car through my own company, but do not have it registered yet. I now would much prefer to have my own personal lease (same car) but cannot just move my name to the titled lease. Is it possible to do a lease transfer from business to personal - even without the car being registered? Stellantis does not allow a simple transfer of name (even though I am CO on the lease deal). I either need to return the lease and start fresh (which will cost a TON) or just roll with it. The other issue is registration. I am having trouble registering the car in DC (where home business is) and then dealership just said to lease it in VA - but the tax is crazy and then I am stuck with VA tags while keeping the car in DC. Any insight ane help would be greatly appreciated (I would love to do a swap takeover from my business to personal) - has this been done before?