Leasing in Maryland?

Hello, I am also in search of any Maryland broker. My current lease will end in a month, if you find any MD broker, please let me know. Broker Discount2020 at NYC can ship BMWs to MD but I need to pay approx. $500 for transportation.

@eyehategod @Jayahn try @AutoCompanion he’s in MD

1 Like

This thread makes me happy that i live in Florida :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

Idk man, $899-$1099 dealer fees??? yuck.

Though I shouldn’t be talking…VA tax is no fun. You guys up in the north east have it so easy :unamused:

3 Likes

Thats why we buy from MD and have it shipped to florida :joy:

1 Like

we also pay 5 cent for each bag we use at the grocery store :slight_smile:

Please clarify are you assuming a VA lease as a Maryland resident?

Also, this thread made me think of something for the LH suggestion box…we should compile a table that lists all taxes by state and relevant commentary (such as the items discussed here for states like VA, MD, TX, etc.) for a quick reference on the LH site.

I can start working on a draft unless anyone has a better idea? Would need to know where to send my draft after I’m done (not sure if I have necessary powers to post in FAQs, trusted Hackrs might need to weigh in here)

4 Likes

Also in VA radar detectors are illegal! I wonder why?!?!?

3 Likes

Dealer fees are not much lower in VA and will soon catch up with FL

1 Like

Even we have property taxes for leased vehicles. I learned this hard way, almost signed a great lease deal without knowing such thing. It turned out have to pay one for bank one for the county; stepped out deal crying.

If you live in Maryland, and lease a Virginia-registered car from Swapalease, you’ll pay the difference between Virginia’s sales tax (4.15%) and Maryland (6.00%). Maryland will charge you 1.85% upon registering the vehicle at the MVA. Basically, MD won’t cause a lease vehicle being transferred to be double-taxed, but they’ll make sure that at least 6% sales tax (on whole sales price) has been paid on any vehicle registered in MD.
In my own lease transfer experience, the Maryland MVA treated the lease transfer differently if coming from a state that taxes the depreciation (NJ, in my case) vs. Maryland itself, which taxes the full sales price. In my case, the NJ sales tax listed on the original sales document amounted to less than 3% of the purchase price (which makes sense, because NJ only taxes the depreciation). So Maryland charged me the other 3%.

If you live in VA and lease a car from Maryland, I don’t know the answer to that question. I highly doubt VA would offer any kind of tax rebate.

3 Likes

How exactly is FL different? From what I read online, FL charges sales taxes on the lease. My info may be wrong–I’m curious how they are different.

Almost every state does, but MD charges on the full selling price vs. rental amount in FL

1 Like

40+ states including Florida just tax the monthly payment, either on a monthly basis or capped upfront. The lower your lease payment, the lower your tax bill.

MD is one of the few exceptions that tax the selling price of the vehicle.

1 Like

Your info is right but maybe your understanding is wrong, fl do charges sales tax on lease but its on the monthly payment , lets say your monthly payment is $300 and in fl you will pay $321 (7% sales tax)…. But some states they charge you the sales tax on the sale price of the car upfront, lets say you bought a car thats $50k and the state will charge you the full sales tax on the selling price upfront or you can bake it into the payments which will make your payment go high

1 Like

Which I believe is a highway robbery

PPT is Highway robbery.

1 Like

Im sorry but what is ppt?

Personal Property Tax

1 Like