Leasing from NY while living in MD

Hi all,
I live in Maryland, and I found a great leasing deal for a car in NY.
Is it smooth process for me to get a lease from NY given the fact that I live in MD.
Would dealer make a mistake with paperwork since I’m out of state?
Also is it common people from Maryland to lease cars from NY state?

It depends on the dealership. The main problem is that NY only has 30-day temp tags, and dealerships can’t issue extensions on them. If you’re still waiting for your registration, then you won’t have a temp tag during that gap. Some dealerships in NY will only do CT, NY, NJ, and sometimes PA for that reason.

but since I live in MD, I would be getting temp tag for MD from dealership right?

The temp tag is issued in the dealer state. As a MD resident, you are leasing your car from a NY store, so your temp tag will be from NYS.

1 Like

So basically I won’t be able to drive my car between when the temp tag expires (30 days) and the day I got my registration from MD

If the NY dealer is unable to register your car within 30 days and if it is true that they can’t extend the temp, then yes, you would be operating the car illegally. You can ask the dealer to expedite the registration but I am not sure how things work in the MD DMV.

1 Like

Did you confirm that the dealership is willing to lease to someone in Maryland? I’m not sure if you got a formal quote including taxes and they’re aware, or if you only secured a discount and base MF, etc. so far.