Leasing a loaner EV/plug-in hybrid

How does the tax credit work? Trying to figure out what the implications are

The captive will usually keep the credits (even for new leases) and may pass them on to in the form of rebates.

No fed credit on loaners…so no implications. If the car is a demo then different story if purchased…lease no implications either way.

Thanks much!

For the purpose of leasing you should forget the federal tax credit exists.

Instead search the forum’s Shared Deals and Marketplace sections for Chevy Bolt, Nissan Leaf, etc.

For instance

And figure out how to maximize state, county, city, utility etc rebates… CVAP, CVRP, etc etc

2 Likes

That’s a pretty good deal. Since the tax credit goes to the bank, it doesn’t count towards my ability to receive it right?

Not sure what that means. You have no ability to receive the federal tax credit on a leased vehicle on your tax returns.

Just forget it exists.

2 Likes

Got it. I’m asking would it affect my ability to receive the $7500 in the future if I were to purchase

Leasing an ev would not affect your ability to buy something in the future and claim the Federal tax credit (assuming it’s still around), no.

But keep in mind they are phased out after the manufacturer crosses 200,000 vehicles sold.

GM and Tesla are both done, and Nissan is expected to be next.

Sure. Assuming it’s still available.

Mystery car, so I assumed it’s a Lucid Air.

1 Like

Thanks all. Was always under the assumption that since I was the lessee I would be losing X amount from potential future use even though the bank was getting it. Thanks again