Leasing a factory order, ethical constraints

In Florida. Working with dealers in Georgia, Tennessee and PA.

Is leasing a factory order commonplace for those looking for a deal? I’ve got several dealers throughout the SE who’ll do invoice -6% on a Gladiator but it appears the industry standard is to apply factory incentives and current lease terms at time of delivery. I would consider an incentive found money because there currently are none for the Rubicon, but lease rates are a significant factor.

What are the options for leasees when the monthly payment at time of delivery can vary by (in my case) as much as $200?
I’m being quoted . 00117/63% for 36/15k on a Rubicon which if I can lock in is an affordable $670mo. If not, current CCAP (.00225/60%) would have it at $800+.

Do/can/should I order it, then walk away if the financing isn’t optimal?
Or consign myself to the budget build/whatever then rate is available?

What incentive is there for the dealer at time of delivery to offer the best bank rates?

I’m very unclear what the ethics issue is here.

Certain banks do not allow you to lock in current programs. You get what you get when it arrives. That’s the risk you have to take.

3 Likes

I wasn’t finished with the post before inadvertantly posting it.

The ethical question is can/ do I walk away at time of delivery of terms aren’t optimal.

Yes, you generally can walk away. If you get your deposit back will be state and contract dependent.

2 Likes

They’re probably happy to let you walk away and sell it at sticker when it arrives.

5 Likes

In Florida. Want to lease a Jeep Gladiator. Working w factor order discount dealers in TN, GA, and PA.
They’re all pretty much at 6% below invoice.
One is standing out with a financing offer of .00117/63% which puts a loaded Rubicon Diesel within reach, otherwise it’s a modestly appointed Willys Diesel with convenience features (remote start, proximity door locks, adaptive cruise.)
The rest are quoting CCAP (.00158/.00225/60%)
At what point(s) do they pull your credit? I’m not clear on this.
I’d like to order the Rubi in PA and the Willys in GA as back up if the financing isn’t there for the Rubicon. Is this feasible? Possible?
Was told by the Rubi dealer I could walk if financing wasn’t there and he would put it on the lot, but that would leave me without a truck and having to start the process over.

Look in the 4xe mega thread, it’s full of details.

2 Likes

They pull your credit once you are ready to lease the car, as in once the car gets delivered to the dealer.

1 Like

What would prevent somebody from going amuck and ordering 20 vehicles from 20 different dealerships across the country? Is there a database that checks this stuff?

Depends on your dealer, the ones I have worked with dealers that take a $1000 nonrefundable deposit for factory orders. They are more than happy to take $20k from you for 20 orders.

What is there to gain from doing that?

What would be the end goal aside from wasting your time and others?

Sure like 2 orders I get it. But, beyond that…I dont understand.

1 Like

I gave a hypothetical example of how it could be abused. Not really interested in the why.
I’m only asking is there a mechanism in place from the manufacturer to prevent multiple orders, and what would be the drawback?

Neither dealer I’m referring to has requested a deposit. Is there any drawback to ordering vehicle A at an advertised rate I can afford from the dealer who quoted it, and ordering a backup from another dealer in case delivery time financing for vehicle A makes it unaffordable?

I’ve also heard that RVs drop towards the end of the year. Is this the case and usually by how much?

Generally speaking dealers will charge a deposit if they’re worried about getting stuck with a car

W the Wranglers and Gladiators, customer orders get prioritized over dealer stock.

If they offer you 5% under invoice and you walk, they’ll be pleased because they can sell it for more to someone off the street.

It appears that taking a deposit is the norm for factory orders, but not taking a deposit isn’t completely unheard of either.

What is the case for signed build orders?
My dealer has not given nor requested a signed build order. This concern was only in the back of my mind until coming across this YouTube video:

Should I demand a signed buyer’s order for my 6% off invoice factory order, or just trust the dealer to honor their word (not!)?

It seems in the current market baiting customers with discounts you have no intention of honoring as a way of accumulating inventory could be a real thing.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.