Leasing a car from CA but living in TN?

Question. Would it be possible to lease a vehicle from a dealership in the NorCal area and get it registered in TN? Just don’t have any solid deals or leads in my state and haven’t had a lot of time to go to dealerships in person due to work/travel.

I’ll be in Norcal this week so I was wondering if this is even a remote possibility.

It is , but you need to pay for CA registration. It’s a bit expensive over shipping the car.

Most dealerships IME don’t want to deal with unfamiliar states and unfamiliar DMVs.

You are usually better off dealing with states neighboring your own.

Ahh I see. That is unfortunate.

Leased a BMW X4MC from Maryland and had it shipped to CA. When local dealerships were offering 3% off, East Coast dealerships where offering 12%. Shipping then was less than 1K. Only thing I had to do was get a smog check when the car came so that the dealership could do the CA registration for me. Plate and registration came in shortly thereafter. Everything was done through FedEx. When looking for another out of state BMW, dealerships were all for it, just needed to do a zoom/web conference call to prove identity.

Did the MD dealership handle the CA title and registration for you, or did you have to do that yourself? I assume the MD dealer did the lease such that it handled the CA taxes correctly.

I think the thing the OP needs to know is that although the car is being bought in CA, it still needs to be titled and registered in TN. As long as he does not have to pay taxes and registration fees in CA and then again in TN it might work to his advantage. I think he might be able to find a better deal on the east coast closer to home though.

They did it themselves. The car came with temp paper Maryland plates. After sending them the smog certification they filled for the registration and plates and registration came soon there after. Deals all depend on type of car and location. CA usually has the most competitive prices it seems though. Not in my case.

See the thing is, I’ve had fewer problems with cars going into Cali then cars coming out.

I think OP is barking up the wrong tree here, and will have a much better time shipping a car or deal in from the NorthEast / DMV, or even better negotiating a deal in his own region. It’s EOM so time to move locally is now.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.