Leasetrader vs Swapalease

Hi All,

Thinking of posting my lease for transfer and was wondering if anyone would be willing to offer any advice on which site they prefer, any pros/cons related to each website, more exposure/success rate, etc.?

Thank you for any advice, I really appreciate it!

This site is the best, why look anywhere else?

1 Like

That is certainly another option!

Swapalease typically has more traffic and overall activity. I personally think it’s worth the $200. I’ve also seen more lease transfer listings on FB and Craigslist.

If it’s a decent deal, you can always post here but everyone wants “wholesale” pricing :grinning:

BTW - look for someone in NY otherwise the sales tax you paid upfront is gone.

Thanks for the response! Can you elaborate more on the sales tax paid upfront being gone if the buyer is not from NY?

Yup…NY tax is paid upfront (even if its rolled into your payment) and the state keeps it if the car leaves the state including a new lessee.

For example, if you moved to PA you would need to pay tax on your current lease payment, so could be paying tax on top of tax if you rolled it into the payment.

1 Like

I believe, and I might be wrong, but this wouldn’t benefit the buyer because NY would still charge tax on the remaining lease payments regardless if tax was paid upfront.

Yes, that is technically how the law is written, but multiple people here have posted recently that that isn’t the case and they weren’t charged again when they took over an in-state NY lease.

Sadly, it could come down to the local DMV not understanding how to handle the situation.

It does seem crazy that the state is going collect tax again on the same transaction.

1 Like

They collect sales tax if the same car is sold 100x, so this wouldn’t surprise me.

Wholesale is being nice. “Bankruptcy imminent” pricing is more accurate it seems at times.

1 Like

So it seems NY might be the most confusing state to do a lease transfer in due to the tax situation?

Can anyone who has recently transferred or taken over a lease in NY comment?

Yeah, I’m a big fan of the site, and what it does, but I’ve never really understood offering lease transfers here.

The buyers are here to get the best possible deal they can. They are knowledgeable, educated, and even a little aggressive.

If you’re a seller, that isn’t the type of market that gives you the most for your lease.

Brokers make some sense, because they connect buyers and sellers, and dealers sometimes need to move inventory, so OK, it makes some sense for them to come here.

But private sellers? I wouldn’t do it unless I was desparate.

swapalease for sure. More targeted towards lease transfers and people looking specifically for your model car. I’ve had success using them. Posted a car and a few days later someone took it.

Leasetrader is more expensive, haven’t had any experience.

1 Like

Well SAL trolls the “Worst Leases Ever” thread in the Off Ramp so :+1:t2:

:1st_place_medal: LH
:2nd_place_medal: LT
:3rd_place_medal: SAL

Just my 2 cents of nitrogen fill

1 Like

Swapalease was a dud in my experience. I transferred thru FB marketplace locally in no time and for free.

I like looking at swaplease to see the number of people who got ripped off paying highly monthly payments. Sometimes there are some deals but I would hate to pay for an account just to ask the leaser questions. The best deals I’ve seen where on craigslist. But agree swaplease does get a lot of traffic.

I guess it all depends on the deal. My truck got crickets her while on SAL within a week there is a person filling out credit app and more $ for what I would have gotten here.