Leased Vehicle in MD, Moving to WA

If I leased a car in Maryland, is there a penalty when registering in Washington state? I paid full taxes on the leased car in Maryland. So what happens if I move to Washington?

If a lease, keep all original paperwork and then notify the leasing company of the move. They’ll send you all the documentation you need to register in WA.

It’s highly likely they’ll start taxing your payment on the monthly based on your locality. If in Seattle, assume 10.4% tax and then 400-500 for registration.

That Outback just keeps giving

2 Likes

Anyone know if my partner and I decide to sell both are cars and buy a new one, would it be better to do so in MD or WA? Also, there is a shortage of the car we want to buy in WA so we may end up paying more then if we bought in MD.

Option 1: Sell both cars in MD, buy car in WA when we get there. We would miss out on the tax credit for this option since we paid full MD taxes even on lease
Option 2: Transfer 1 car to WA and trade in at dealer there
Option 3: Trade in 1 car in MD and transfer plates to WA when we move

I think you’re over-complicating things here. If you buy a car in WA without a trade-in in the Seattle area, you’re looking at 10.3-10.4% sales tax with no tax credit.

But what you’re leaving out is what kind of cars, what you owe, what they’re worth, and whether you’re planning to lease or buy when you get to WA.

Also, what car are you looking to buy that is in a shortage up here?

Details on car…

Currently lease 2017 Subaru Outback - lease over July 2020 or should be able to breakeven on lease in Dec 2019
Currently finance 2015 Mazda 3 - owe $3k - sell for $7k

We want to go down to only 1 vehicle and buy CPO Crosstrek. My company pays to ship 1 car to washington if needed. When I looked for Crosstrek there were not may used however in MD area there are many.

If mileage and moving costs are not a problem on lease I’d consider just bringing the car with you. You’ll have a handful with the move regardless, no need to add yourself two more problems with the cars. Between Seattle and extending to Portland you should plenty to choose from. I’d just try to sell the Mazda to safe the hassle.

BTW, this is a great time to move to Seattle, just in time for summer!

(no clue why does it show as an answer to 28…)

OK.

I would sell the Mazda back in MD. Clear the equity and bank it. Doesn’t pay to ship a car worth $7k across the country. I’d feel differently if you were going to drive it.

Ship the Outback to WA. My suggestion would be to drive it until the end of the lease unless you can truly break even on it earlier. Your company will pay about $1200 to ship it out here and registration will likely be $400-$500. Depending on when you’re moving, you might be able to get away with only doing 1 year of registration on it.

The Crosstrek (along with basically any Subaru) is the chosen vehicle of basically everyone here. I’m exaggerating, but between the Crosstrek, Outback, and Forester, you’ve basically covered 60-75% of cars on the road.

On the new side, there is an inventory shortage on the Crosstrek due to a recall that caused a stop at the factory in Japan. That should start clearing out in due time. On the used side, Subaru’s are just in demand up here so people scoop them up. That said, you shouldn’t have a tough time finding one.

Is there a reason you want CPO vs. new? I’m guessing the cost savings is not as substantial as you might hope - might be to your benefit to buy new and drive it until the wheels fall off.

You probably hit reply on my post instead of the general reply button or on OPs post.

Also, sometimes I feel as though I’m the only person who would love to leave Seattle just as quickly as possible if the opportunity presented itself…