Leased car totaled. I'm in tough position

, ,

That’s just filthy. I like cars, but never get THAT excited.

Anyway, as to your question, you do know you should have a deal in place before going to a dealer, right? So the drive will be worth it because you are just picking up a car you already got a great deal on.

2 Likes

Definitely, it was a very bad accident and I’m glad I survived. I know that I won’t be able to secure a good deal (Local Audi went from 70+ inventory pre-pandemic to 4-5 inventory) but I want the least amount of losses (New higher lease, higher insurance, possible credit hit, and car rental expenses)

2 Likes

It’s leasehackr heresy but in this situation I wouldn’t rely on your contract. Insurance law is so complex that I wouldn’t assume a finance arms lawyers have done their initial due diligence and are constantly keeping up to date with insurance law in all fifty states to make sure their lease contracts are accurate. For complex matters like this where you are signing a form contract it’s not unusual for part of the contract to be void due to inconsistency with legislation, regulation or court precedent.

That all said, you don’t win if this becomes a legal matter. If my lease was wrecked and I thought I had equity the first thing I would do is call my insurance company and tell them I am the insured party and not to pay any amount over payoff to the bank. Would this work, maybe but it’s definitely worth a shot? Then I would spend some time googling state law and if I found anything useful I would call my adjuster back and point it out to them.

Maybe per the lease the bank will send me equity in the vehicle but getting money from a finance company is gonna be hard. However, I am the client for my insurance company. They have more motivation to work with me to help me keep the proceeds.

6 Likes

What makes you “think” that you would be entitled to any proceeds first? Usually your state law and or the language in your contract would dictate that.

This has been discussed here before ad nauseam. You can speak to your insurance company regarding who gets equity payout first but they also have policies in place for policy holders that are owners or leasees.

FYI, you’re a leasee not an owner. The captive owns the car, you’re just merely renting it from them.

They’re the ones who hold the cards, not you.

I have a nice deal for you. 2021 BMW m340xi with 9k miles. 675 a month, 1k down, $500 transfer fee, 30 months, (15k a year). This is a lease transfer, 30 months left. DM me for details. Located in Boston, I can pick you up from the airport…

Vic.

6 Likes

Im so sorry! But its awesome your living & breathing! Yes you are in a tough position. But a tougher position would be to be permanently paralyzed or on life support! You’ll resolve this setback one way or another!

1 Like

No it wouldn’t.

It’s the definition of a first world problem.

I went from German luxury cars to Priuses and Subarus…now a Bolt EUV.

Don’t miss a thing, nor does my wife or kids.

I’m not saying they’re not nicer, better built or much, much better at high speed.

2 Likes

Well, yeah, of course it’s a first world problem. Most of us here on the forum face first world problems. I’m not sure what that has to do with OP’s vehicle preference.

Sounds like you’d get along with the OP of this thread: Luxury cars, can't learn to love them

3 Likes

$600 for a 330i should be a non-starter.

You may also want to think about how you’ve set up your own thread to be derailed instead of focusing on the real question of what car to get next.

1 Like

It would be hard either way but I assumed it based on his settlement amount for his vehicle since no MY19 base A4 would be worth $34k even in today’s market.

1 Like

That quote is completely out of context. I was clearly referring to thinking I have equity in the car not any legal right to said equity.

Yeah that’s my point. But this is complex law. If you aren’t a lawyer practicing in this state doing this type of law you aren’t going to know whether the contract controls, state law controls or some combination of the two. Blindly trusting a captive to know the law is a bad choice. I fought with Acura financial for two months because they said they didn’t have to refund me money I paid after over billing me for local taxes (they did - it would have been a crime to not refund the money)

I provided a recommended course of action that has almost no downside and acknowledged the ambiguity in this situation.

6 Likes

To each their own, I don’t really care about a badge (nor would I call an IS500 or LC500 a Toyota). There isn’t much that a G70 does worse than an A4 or especially 330i. But it definitely has a much better engine/steering combination than either of those. Wouldn’t hurt to drive one, rather than settling for a demo 4 cylinder.

The difference between Lexus and Toyota is miles different than Genesis and Hyundai. I wouldn’t rank any Genesis car higher than German engineering in any category other than base units being better equipped (they are the “value” play, after all). It’s of course going to be subjective. But having driven Genesis cars for years, I simply find they aren’t nearly as enjoyable or comfortable to drive as competing cars in the same segment.

Some aren’t as picky, and that’s probably to their benefit. It doesn’t mean it’s a bad suggestion to OP. But I just doubt s/he’d want to take that plunge, especially given the focus on BMW and Audi expressed and tagged in this thread.

1 Like

To me it sounds like you haven’t driven any of the new Genesis cars and you are judging them based on your experiences with the old Hyundai Genesis models. I would be floored if someone drove a 330i and a G70 3.3T back to back and said that BMW is more enjoyable/comfortable to drive. A4 is arguable.

Also the difference between Lexus and Toyota is not miles different. In fact, more Lexus products are heavily based on Toyotas than Genesis on Hyundai.

Are you saying the gap is bigger because Toyota products are worse than Hyundai? Because Lexus does a lot of things well but it doesn’t do “luxury” very well at all. Please sit inside a GV70 or 80 and compare to a GX or RX.

It’s possible a lot has changed in a year, but I didn’t find much difference between the 2016 and 2020 model years when I drove/owned them. I wanted to love Hyundai and Genesis just because of how much cheaper they are than competitors. I just couldn’t get there.

I’m talking about sedans, not SUVs. Although the GV70s I’ve sat in smell like sulfur.

Anyway, this is tangential; I don’t think OP really came for advice on a Hyundai (or maybe … did?)

1 Like

I’m an Audi fanboi - I’ve only owned 2 previously (a nightmare basic A3 and a mid-trim A4) but I’m a sucker for soft touch interior. I currently drive a '21 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid in Limited trim and i’ve gotta say the Sonata is better than either Audi’s. I didn’t expect to like this boring commuter as much as I do.

I’m sure the top spec Audi’s are tough to beat but I’m honestly shocked at how far Hyundai have come in terms of interior quality anyway.

3 Likes

Well if you’d stop with the low hanging fruit of calling Genesis a Hyundai, it could be a discussion on what options are out there for OP in his price range.

From my experience test driving and going through a mountain of lease offers on a similar class of cars, I’d say the only realistic options at the moment are S60, G70 or Giulia TI. I’d personally pick a G70, because it’s by far the best engine in that price range. Well I did pick it, but I guess I need a DC license to register a car in DC, so I’m waiting for that.

Why don’t you just buyout the car now, have it in your name, and then get the settlement?

1 Like

The discussion is already there, but you keep getting defensive about why you love the brand so much. You can like your car even without affirmation from others, but it sounds like you’re trying to convince yourself more than anyone else. I tried Hyundai and Genesis out for over 10 years, and while I was impressed with current model years at a glance, I found that the sedans couldn’t compete with better cars in their respective classes on comfort, ride quality, infotainment, among other aspects. Others may feel differently and that’s totally fine, but I moved on. Much like this conversation since the topic of whether or not Korean engineering can compete with German engineering continues be as stale as it always has been :slight_smile:

1 Like