Leased car accident (Audi Q5)

Sorry, I am not sure. I believe that once the check with full amount goes to AF, AF will not give you anything. The best bet is to have State Farm only gives AF the payoff. But I guess State Farm is not allowed to do so. So if you want to try, try to persuade State Farm. Or if you can talk to AF to buyout the car by yourself, but I guess it is too late now since AF already knew the car is totaled. Anyway, I have tried hard in my case, but AF just hard to deal with.

I’m not sure if it’s doable but can you payoff the lease your self and get the check from insurance?

Yeah,

I own a VW, and was leasing an A6…I even was planning to buy the A6 out after the lease…However, with this kind of experience don’t think will buy or lease a VW/Audi car again. MB here I come.

AUDI reps gave me the same reponses. I am now seriously thinking about the payoff option.

Thank you for the update. Really appreciated. Could you explain more about “why it’s too late since AF already know the car is totaled”? I thought I could buyout it anyways. Did you try the buyout option before?

I recall I mentioned that during a conversation with them. They told me I cannot buyout since the car is totaled. At that time, I was not seriously considering this option so I did not pursue further. You probably can try it.

Do. Not. Try. This.

4 Likes

I talked to a few other reps, managers, total loss department and they all have different information that contradicts with each other…However, what it seems like that surplus is being kept since they “own the property”, and nothing can be done there. But, I will get all the lease payments back since the total loss date, also they will cancel all the warranties, audicare and other stuff back.

The verbiage in the contract means that I get a credit towards the lease, but not a refund…

1 Like

You get the payments back, audi care etc. And a credit towards a new lease. I think that’s fair. Contact a broker here to set up your next Audi.

You need to consult a lawyer.

It was damaged under your control. You are only entitled to a repair. Geesh, the entitlement of some people

Interesting you mention this…I was in a car accident where other driver was at fault…I called my insurance they had an insurance adjuster quickly looking at my Audi Etron (probably be a total loss) my adjuster did tell me that in the event of equity on the vehicle, more than likely Audi financial will keep entire check since Audi is the title holder. Now I wonder how true this is?

1 Like

Good morning fellow hackrs, I totaled my leased 2019 Audi etron (not at fault) a week ago…long story short my insurance adjuster declared the vehicle a total loss…given the car market at the moment and after getting a true buyout from Audi financial turns out there’s equity. Since it’s a lease, Audi financial would keep the surplus (since they’re title holders) so I wouldn’t see a dime aside from the CCR refund. That being said I’m planning on buying out the car myself from Audi and have the insurance cut me the check as the new owner. What’s would be the best/fastest approach on paying out the vehicle myself as I don’t have the money to pay for the vehicle…is getting a loan through my bank suitable? I’m new dealing with this situation, Thanks in advanced

Understand that the insurance payout clause is based on when the accident actually happened, so doing this doesn’t actually make the money yours.

You should, however, read your contract to verify that the surplus value on the insurance payment actually goes to Audi. The Audi policy on this varies by state. It isn’t a sure thing.

The last thing I’d want to own is a salvaged e-tron. You’re going to hitch yourself to that thing and end up so much further upside down than any equity you’re trying extract currently.

3 Likes

Check your contract wording. It seems to vary by state and make

I am now afraid to drive anywhere this month after reading all these my newly leased car is totaled posts :astonished:

1 Like

I did contact a representative for Audi financial and confirmed with him about any surplus would go to Audi, however I know well enough that what he “confirmed” or what he’s “used to seeing” and what’s on contract are two different realities. What verbiage should I see on the contract that benefits me as a leasee regarding this equity?

There is a section on your contract that specifically deals with payoffs in the event the vehicle is totalled and describes how insurance surpluses are handled.

I would take what the representative said with a grain of salt. He may be more familiar with the contract in some states vs others, etc. Always best to check your contract language.

Search, this was discussed numerous times (ex: BMW shamelessly STOLE my equity. What can I do?).

1 Like

What makes you think you get a cap cost reduction refund?

3 Likes

I got this info from an Audi financial representative