Leased car accident (Audi Q5)

EXACTLY. I am in 9.75 city in Calif. If you guy a car here, you better be in for the long haul.

I was just reading my Infinity lease contract and it states the same as Audi:

So it’s not just Audi who does that.

Hey, ran into this discussion and wonder how did you settled eventually?
I am having the same kind of issue with Audi. My down payment was 15k, the insurance settlement is around 12k higher than the buy out. But Audi refuses to refund me the full surplus. Any suggestion will be appreciated!

Your contract should specify what happens with any extra insurance payouts. What does it say?

How it is related to contract with Audi, if you have separate contract with insurance company? You pay premiums for insurance, you got money for damage, it should be simple.

Because you agreed to how the insurance payments would be distributed when you signed the contract.

2 Likes

I don’t think I agreed to that. If they are including this wording now, it is highway robbery. I had car totaled 2 years ago and everything was handled properly

Different banks handle it differently. It also seems to vary by state. The only way to know if this is being handled properly is to reference the actual contract to see what applies.

2 Likes

5 Likes

You will get your money back from Audi, don’t worry.

But $15k down?!? Ouch. If it weren’t for the amazing used car market you’d have lost all of that instead of just $3k.

1 Like

getting fresh bucket of popcorn…

1 Like

“I wanted a payment in the $300s”

1 Like

Fixed it for you.

EDIT: for the OP, just a joke, I don’t mean you specifically. Just joking about how people say they can only ‘afford’ a certain payment but are willing to drop a massive DP to get there, many times even in the face of impossibly low interest rates or money factors.

1 Like

any update here? I’m also in the same situation here…Audi says they will keep the surplus, and it’s pretty substential.

What does your contract say?

Well, it says this:

“If the insurance settlement we receive is greater than the Net Lease Balance, you will receive a credit for any excess up the amount of the Additional Credits deducted above”.

I talked to AF on the phone, to different 3 reps, all say that they will keep the surplus…However, when I pointed to this in the contract one of the reps saying that since they’re the “owner” of the vehicle they’re entitled to the “settlement benefits”. They also mentioned that “credit” does not mean a “refund”.

Audi seems to have different contract language depending on state where the contract originated. It may be worth escalating up the ladder. You may be talking to someone used to one way and not the other.

2 Likes

That’s what I wanted to do, I will call them up on Monday since it does sound like that they owe me per the contract, so did Insurance told me that they will have to pay me the difference. It’s just a bad taste om mouth that Audi doing this or even trying to collect the surplus from the insurance that I pay.

I think you’re right, it depends on the state and some 1st T reps just go by “the book”.

I’m just curious if there are people who actually collected from AF after they been told no.

I’m in WA state.

Just saw this message. No, unfortunately, AUDI did not pay me the surplus after contacting them multiple times. AUDI has good cars, but I would not buy/lease from them after this terrible experience.

3 Likes

Thanks for letting us know @jet !

It looks like the best luck is to get a separate check from the Insurance.

State Farm says they have to go by the “book” of what the lien holder tells them, and AF requested the full check instead of the payoff quote. Thus, State Farm wants to pay them the full amount, but State Farm says that AF should send me the difference…

Is there a way just to deal with the Insurance on this and push on them to send me the separate check?

Any thoughts?