Leased (and stranded) 2018 Durango under warranty—

Help! I have 3 months left on my lease and my car has been undriveable for 25 days—stuck at the dealership waiting on a replacement UConnect radio. And still no ETA on the part. It’s under warranty, and Dodge’s fault, but they won’t even give me a loaner. Three weeks of bs with FCA customer service. What am I supposed to do here? Any advice appreciated

Is there another dealership you could work with that would have a loaner? In my experience the dealer would offer to pay for a rental car if they don’t have any service loaners.

It is at a dealership for service but not the one where I purchased the car. Neither is helping me, and FCA customer service says they’ll only maybe cover 3 days at $35/day. Since I haven’t even been able to use the car for almost a month, it seems ridiculous that I have to even make a lease payment. I’m leasing a vehicle that can’t be driven through no fault of mine!

Have you escalated your issue with someone other than the front line at FCA? Look for FCA’s Facebook page, and post a complaint there. I’ve had good success doing that for others when something major comes up and I get the runaround

2 Likes

Not sure on what their legal responsibility is according to the lease agreement, but they should provide you with a means of transportation. I would push the issue of a rental car further.

I do get it from their perspective since since it could cost $1,000+ per month depending on how long the part takes to be delivered, but it seems reasonable they would offer some sort of solution.

Maybe you could call around then transport the car from that dealership to one with an available service loaner?

Have you had a conversation with the general manager of the dealership where your car is being repaired?

1 Like

To be honest, you ideally should have confirmed the loaner upon giving the car up but I guess you prob didn’t expect for it take so long? I would write directly to corporate (both FCA as well as the owners of the dealership)

Do this ASAP and also ask for retroactive compensation and if they continue to bug you, bring the lawyers

1 Like

I also needed a new Uconnect radio for my 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Apparently this is a common issue. The dealer had to order one and told me it could take up to 30 days to arrive. I kept my vehicle and brought it in when the part arrived and they replaced it. I was given a rental car. The repair was only suppose to take a few days but it took 8 days because the service department was a shit show. Not sure why you can’t just drive the vehicle without the radio until the part comes in?

4 Likes

I was trying to figure this out as well. I assumed that the infotainment system controlled crucial parts of the driving experience for OP to not be able to continue driving it until the part is replaced.

1 Like

Check lemon laws. If the vehicle spends 30 days or more for a repair, it usually qualifies for it.

This is true but only in the first year. Since this is the third lemon law does not apply but the Magnusson (?) warranty act does.

3 Likes

Varies by state. 18 months is also a common window.

I agree on this perhaps being more of a warranty act claim than a lemon claim though.

2 Likes

And I’m not pretending to be up-to-date on NY Lemon law since I haven’t lived there in over 20 years, but I had a claim that I initiated (in CA) in month 33 that got resolved because I had taken it in for this issue in the first couple months, raised it as an issue at every service appointment, and when they finally gave up blaming the software and a hardware replacement made it worse…:man_shrugging:t2:

The point being OP should definitely talk to a Lemon Lawyer, who will ask to see all the ROs…

Just get the car back until the replacement radio arrives.

What am I missing?

3 Likes

Not sure about Durango, but there maybe more than the radio issue if that module is broken. Some cars route waaay to many things through “radio”

1 Like

Thanks everyone for the good advice and information. Unfortunately the car is apparently undriveable even with the radio (it controls a whole lot of other stuff, or so I’m told). I know my case has been escalated to the highest level (woohoo!) but given that there is still no ETA on the replacement, I’m not sure how much good that does. I had been considering buying the car after the lease was up since I actually really like and hadn’t had any problems–until now. Also, car prices and lease deals are so expensive right now I thought it buying it would be in my best interest (I could probably turn around sell it for more than I owe!). In any case, I am definitely rethinking that after this experience. FCA is a joke. I had a Volvo prior to this and the customer service was outstanding. Thoughts on keeping it and buying the extended warranty (if there is an upgraded version?)?

good advice. and, yes, i had NO IDEA this could take so long!

Good idea, i will try that! thank you

1 Like

I am definitely doing that right now. Excellent advice.

Yeah get in touch with a lemon law lawyer. I did it on a lease that has less than 6 months left.

1 Like