Leased an Kia EV wind in December 23 been in the shop for 2 Months

I leased this car for my mother, she never had a new car before. Few days after she picked it up the airbag light went on, took 3 weeks to get part and fix. 1 week later the 12v battery or something is dead and been in shop ever since. They gave her a rental but this is ridiculous. The dealership and the broker I used here will not help us. We filed a complaint with KIA headquarters but they are useless. We still do not have the car back. Thanks for reading.

Are you just venting or looking for options?

Check your state’s lemon law, and look into getting a lemon law attorney, if applicable.

Nothing a broker can do regarding warranty work.

Dealership will be your best option. One doesn’t work out, try another.

They gave you a rental; what else are you looking for? (Serious question)

Monetary compensation? Lease payments?

2 Likes

Sorry to hear about the issues your mom is having with her car. I don’t want to sound insensitive here, but what are you expecting the broker to do for you? They are not the manufacturer of the car.

:point_up_2::point_up_2:

2 Likes

Not sure what to do at this point. Put a lawyer on retainer, spend another 2k? The lemon law is 30 days in the shop on a new car but not sure how to enforce. I was just asking for advice, broker said he would help but never did. I understand broker is not responsible and doesn’t have to do anything, that’s why I am reaching out here because I am getting nowhere.

Lemon Law attorneys work for FREE. (They get paid by the OEM). So call one NOW and get the ball rolling. I got a payout on a 26month old car since I was the first owner and it was still under warranty.

5 Likes

Called a Lemon Law attorney. Lemon law does not apply to a lease, lemon law applies to the owner of vehicle and kia own the car we are just leasing. Pretty much screwed at this point. I still dont have the car back. Do not buy a kia electric apparently this is a big issue.

2 Likes

Wow, is this some weird AZ rule? I had a leased Kia and was able to get Lemon Law on it.

Edit : Holey Heck it’s true!

1 Like

with Lemon Law out the window (and that is a terrible rule!) you’re really left with corporate and the dealer. Since she’s in a rental (assuming it’s comparable) there’s not much else left to do. Not sure how you engaged with corporate, on the phone or a letter, but it helps to have a specific ask. Are you looking for money, a new car/buyback, a better rental? If you have a well reasoned argument and are polite it can work out. No experience with Kia personally but I’ve had other manufacturers help in the past.

There is some way in AZ where the bank can list you as an owner for lemon law purposes, but it may be something that’s required to be done at inception.

There may also be the possibility of a claim under magnuson moss at the federal level rather than a state lemon statute.

1 Like

Wouldn’t the attorney i spoke with recommend those actions? The kia customer relations is not very professional or helpful. They just put you in the waiting game for unspecified answers that always need higher ups.

Can the dealer put your mom into a loaner that is close to (or better) than the one she leased? Free miles that way and you get the almost new car your mom wanted.

She is in a loaner but not a kia, she had to goto enterprise, she in a Hyundai. We making payments every month still.

Maybe he doesn’t know or the expected value of a payout wasn’t worth it to him.

Call another attorney. It doesn’t hurt to spend 15 more mins. Maybe they will come up with a solution.