Lease vs purchase

Early 997s have bottomed out too, why not get the better looking car

1 Like

I HATE the interior on the 997’s, idk why. I prefer the 996 interior. I had an old 986 boxster years ago and got a soft spot for that era of Porsches.

Plus can’t get a 997 for $14,500. :slight_smile: IMS already replaced, early 2001 build, 6 speed manual RWD, just a nice car to bomb around in.

1 Like

I’m the opposite. Even if I could get past the exterior, I don’t like the 996 interior at all.

I saw a 997.1 6mt S cab for like 26 the other day, that was tempting

1 Like

I’ll gladly dump this 996.1 I have for a 991.2 when those start dipping into the 40’s.

I’m not a fan of the 996.2, I don’t mind the 996.1 when the headlights are totally cleared out (like mine), I think the 993 are the ugliest front ends. 964 and 991 being the best. 997 exterior is definitely nice (except the tail lights, meh).

Only way I like the 996 interior is with the GT3 center console delete. Which is what I did with mine. Gives it a little more old school feel, but with modern amenities. I custom made a wireless charger and installed bluetooth to the OEM stereo. So can use my phone as navigation easily and stream music over the stock radio without some gawdy looking thing. Best bang-for-the-buck car right now I think. Sub $15k, 300hp, RWD 6-speed, yummmm.

U can get a 330i for 215 a month?? @MConte05

Was almost two years ago (lease is up in January).

Interesting site but YIKES

We determine this by sorting on the difference between the original price paid and the current market price the past twelve model years spanning all trim levels.

Peanutbutter all the meaningful granularity out. Just spread it all over. :man_facepalming:t2:

I think we’re fair and say what doesn’t lease well (avoid) and what to buy instead of leasing.

Always do the math but if we’re being general:

Also always buy top/sports trim of normal cars (Golf R and usually GTI, STI and usually WRX, etc)

Almost always lease luxury and anything over 45k msrp, except the lux/spendy rides that lease horribly, just avoid them or prepare to pay.

You should also consider excise tax when calculating cost of ownership. It’s $25 for every $1000 in MA, I’m not sure about other states. That is $1000/yr for a $40k bmw.

1 Like

996 front end…is hideous. I have tried to look past it…i can’t.
997.2 is the solid option…
I just sold my 991.1. Bought it CPO, 2 years old (with 20k miles), kept it for 4 (added 30K miles).

I had a 987.2 cayman. I am keeping an eye out for a 981 cayman s. I am over the 911. for now.

Just went thru the whole thread…
That’s one hell of a deal you got there!! Good luck on January :grinning:

My challenge with some of the vehicles I have leased in the past is the initial year depreciation is steep, but for many of those vehicle, you are already receiving a 15-30% off MSRP discount when adding dealer discount and manufacturer incentives - which really helps flatten things out.

1 Like

Where can I find one in this price range? The 1 or 2 within 500 miles of me under $17K are 100K+ mile beaters on shady used car lots. Later this winter I’d love to pick up a sports car for under $15K.

I found mine on Craigslist. I don’t think I’d ever buy a 996 from a car dealer. I’d definitely focus on trying to find one that’s been owned by someone who cared for the car and has the records to show. He was advertising the car for $17k but took $14.5 since his new STI had arrived and just wanted it gone. Had lots of maintenance records dating back to the previous owner and then some. So far been a peach. Has 102k miles on it.

2 Likes

first 2 /3 ownership of cars is high as its goes 90%, 60% & 50%… but then its 10% of price

Why is Tundra better lease than buy?

Residual values look to be inflated (80+% is very high). For curiosity sake I ran my Tundra VIN to Vroom and Carvana and the offers I received were $6-8k negative.

IMHO it make sense to buy used car if it fully loaded with all possible options.
The attractive lease offers are usually for cars with basic options. If you’ll try to lease fully loaded german car the numbers will be far away from what we see on LH.

I own loaded 2013 Lexus RX450h for 37months and ~14k miles/yr effective ~$325/month. Leasing would be twice more expensive, I guess.

This is why leasing the luxury arm model of the vehicle (where bare model is already well equipped) is often more economical than leasing the fully loaded version of the mainstream model, especially if the luxury model offers MSDs.

newby here - but i’m still interested in an answer to the original question about - where on earth do you find these lease deals where you’re getting 10%-13% off the price.
i’m in jersey and everything i can find is priced high and tight … at best there’s 1750 incentive
which puts a $58k msrp 530ix about $775+ for 36 mths and $0 down
so i’m finding it hard to believe all these $300/m bmw leases

reading is your best friend – you should go over the plethora of bmw posts – you will become a believer lol