Lease “security deposit”

Don’t put legal terminology and limiting language when possible. I’m not a lawyer, but our corporate legal always advises vaguest language possible so it’s easier for them to deal with matters later.

“to pursue all avenues of legal relief” or similar language is more encompassing.

Again, not a lawyer, nothing written here should be taken as legal advice, just my 2 cents.

3 Likes

Wow this only gets better, my suspicions about this dealer were right. I’d just go down there and cause a big scene, if they want to play dirty cause a scene in the showroom. You would hope the GM or someone would want to make you go away and just give you your money or go with @Jrouleau426 approach

You do that and you already lost. What are you going to change this way? Possibly the minds of a few people who are in the showroom at that time? You don’t think the sales people will be able to talk their way out of that one? If you get too out of hand, they’ll just call the police and have you removed, and now the deposit is the least of your worries. I’m sure there is a ton of anecdotal evidence of going down to the business, screaming like a deranged lunatic and getting your money back, but it realistically that’s not the way to handle anything.

Maybe I missed it, but was this deposit made on the credit card? If so, what’s the issue here? Write an email to the GM directly with roughly the language that was already discussed above and see what happens. In the email also specify that all future communication on the matter should come through this email.

Dealing with the sales person is pointless, the text was written by someone who’s close to being illiterate.

3 Likes

Dealers like this hope you just go away and cut your losses. Don’t do that. It just makes them continue their predatory practices. I don’t care how much money one has, you should never allow people to get over on you as it will just perpetuate their habits.

I wouldn’t go down there and cause a scene yet either. You shouldn’t have to waste more time then necessary, phone call and email should do it. Ask them to itemize the Costs they incurred due to you also. I’d like to see that.

4 Likes

You could always use a review as leverage instead of threatening legal. Post something on yelp or similar on how bad they are, with screenshots of the texts.

Post the link here and we can all comment that we will never use them again etc…

Show them the link and tell them you will only take it down if you get your money back.

At the very least you are bound to make them quite angry.

This post is half sarcastic and could technically have other legal repercussions. But could be fun.

I think I saw you pay with debit card but not sure if you responded to the chargeback suggested by others. The manager will support the sales person. It’s clear cut that you paid the $1K, signed a piece of paper with no terms of services. Simply mention that to your bank and increase tour chances of a successful chargeback.

Now, if you have Chase or so you should be good, some banks require so much more stuff and it’s difficult.

Even in the past, 3 times I made deposits, pulled out and the dealer promised refunds. I ended up getting those refunds via chargeback . There were no arguments about getting it back, it just never came as they promised.

1 Like

I have to default to your expertise here, but isn’t the playbook at most dealerships to stop all communication at the mere mention of litigation/attorney and refer them to dealership counsel?

Counsel is going to cost more than that $1000

2 Likes

The dealer number is visible on the OP. Looking at the dealer reviews all over the place one pissy comment won’t do anything unless you have Kardashian level followers.

I just sent him an email outlining what I have dealt with. We will see how he responds I suppose. I’m getting the money back, one way or another.

1 Like

Small claims court doesn’t require counsel, as well if judgment if found in favor of the plaintiff the dented at pays the fees.

Also next time, always use a credit card, not a debit card. I just paid a broker fee and paid the extra 3% to put it on my cc just incase something went wrong and I needed recourse to get the fee back.

You are mixing up the thread, someone said the Business would retain counsel. Over $1000. The counsel could charge at least that to review this case.

Oops, my bad, didn’t read that correctly.

This is all still ridiculous. Someone at this dealership already tried to steamroll OP on this deal, thought they had him hooked, and when it fell apart they still think they can steamroll him into keeping the deposit.

Why do you think they have the nickname ‘stealerships’

To clarify my position/question I ask about including that in the email, since most dealer forums tend to shout from the proverbial hills that “if you hear attorney, stop talking, refer to the tower manager and dealership counsel”.

While I understand that simply giving the deposit back due to breach of contract etc is the right and economical thing to do but, some businesses don’t really follow logic. Complexity and a $ is better then simplicity and no $.

No response from the general manager still, sent a follow up around noon. Looks like I’ll be going in when I get home.

I’m sorry you have to go through this. It’s really shitty practice, please keep us updated

PM dealer info!

Any update?

1 Like

Any update on this?

Don’t leave us hanging!