Lease “security deposit”

Well, after speaking with the dealer. It sounds like they’re going to keep my security deposit. They’re very adamant that I’m receiving a good deal with all the factors included. Is there anything I could have missed which would have made my lease so much more expensive than most? He corrected me even and said the terms were for $494 3/45

Their reasoning is inconsequential when it comes to you wanting to back out and get your deposit back.

However, if Indiana allows nonrefundable deposits then good luck trying to get it back.

1k dollars is a lot of money to burn, I’d go there everyday and complain until I got my money back or I was in the back of a police car.

Cause them to lose business, drop negative reviews and send in notices to newspapers and local writers.

2 Likes

It’s an amazing deal for them. Of course they’re adamant.

7 Likes

Was it a credit card deposit and did you sign anything that spelled out the terms? Dispute the charge, and never make deposit with check

Debit card, and it had terms listed on it “if” I put the rest of the $4,500 down.

They are a pretty shitty dealer if they are going to hold your feet to the fire on the $1000. I’d go ahead and leave them some nice reviews on Google maps, etc. They were trying to hose you on the deal, I’d elevate if you want $1k back, GSM and GM. And if the vehicles are such high demand they aren’t losing anything anyway. Shitty way to do business, i use to take deposits on inbound cars but wouldn’t even run people’s cards.

1 Like

Simple google search (under Used car section, but still)

• If you make a deposit on a vehicle, ask whether the money is refundable and under what circumstances. Make sure that this information is in writing and on your contract.

https://www.in.gov/attorneygeneral/consumer-protection-division/consumer-protection/consumer-fact-sheets/purchasing-a-car/

Call corporate. Tell them the dealer changed the terms(which they did) and won’t refund the deposit. Worth a try.

I’d call and ask for the gsm first and tell him you can’t wait any longer for a car as you need one soon.

1 Like

I kid you not, as I spoke with them they told me my vehicle magically just appeared today. He just sent me pictures of it. The representative I worked and spoke with earlier this week told me to expect the end of the month though.

Also, see if anything from the list applies to your deal
https://www.in.gov/attorneygeneral/consumer-protection-division/files/bill-of-rights.pdf

You have a right to receive truthful statements from a dealer throughout your transaction.

1 Like

Also this is not a deposit for a real Vehicle with VIN right? This is a deposit where they ‘find you the right vehicle’. Is that truly a deposit?

1 Like

Exactly, they didn’t have a confirmed vehicle with a vin I could look up.

this is the only thing I signed and this is not the same vin as the vehicle that they said they would be getting me eventually.

Then you should be able to get your deposit back - you did not sign anything for the new vin. And there is no manager’s signature also (unless they signed it later).
p.s. I’m not a lawyer :slight_smile:

2 Likes

IANAL but this is not a deposit agreement… I’d be creating a big stink about getting my money back.

1 Like

If they haven’t already taken/processed a credit application, freeze all three credit bureaus while you’re sorting this out.

4 Likes

That’s shady, absolutely dispute that with your bank, I wouldn’t even deal with those aholes, they have no leg to stand on. Borderline fraudulent

just won’t make it easy I see lol

Wow this honestly sounds like a ransom…

I’d just be clear and say that you’re no longer interested in the car and need your refundable deposit back immediately. If they say no, you’ll have proof to show corporate and the world about what nonsense is going on up in here lol.

Sorry you’re going through this, it’s unbelievable.

1 Like

Magic words.

“Dear GM,

I’m not a litigious person and would like to resolve this amicably. But if forced I will be contacting my attorney to pursue breach of contract and damages associated with it.”

That text message they sent you would have me very very pissed off. They incurred no costs unless they traded another dealer to get your car, which wasn’t the car you were in agreement on. Even if that was the case it’s no where close to $1000, and they didn’t ask you if you wanted that one instead anyway. I call BS on that anyway bc dealers are hanging onto pickups and not trading them at all right now.

3 Likes