Lease Return and Wear/Tear Insurance

I am turning in my Volvo XC60 and when I leased I did purchase the wear and tear insurance.

The car currently has a scratch that is definitely longer than an inch (about 10 inches). As far as I can tell it did not hit the base of the paint but my fingernail does get caught so doubt it can be buffed out. I am also missing the front bumper tow hook cover.

How does it work with the insurance? Does Volvo send me a bill and I turn submit that to the insurance company?

You should get the pre turn in inspection done. You will know what if any charges are going to incur. If the scratch is charges significantly over the deductible you may want to turn it in and get it fixed before you turn it in. It will also depend on the cause of the scratch (was it an at fault or not at fault incident). It probably is not worth the increased rates on an at fault incident to trun it in. Depending of the deductible it may be cheaper to pay the leasing company wear fee.

What do the terms of the wear and tear insurance say?

Regardless, your first step as noted above is to get the inspection done to see what the damage charge will actually be. Then follow whatever steps are outlined in your policy.

Lease wear and tear coverage is typically purchased through the dealer and is completely different from your collision and comprehensive insurance through Geico. Who was “at fault” is irrelevant and there is no risk of rising rates, LOL.

Read you wear and tear insurance docs that you signed when you signed the lease

A policy from the captive would waive all the charges that are covered under the policy.

But dealers often sell third party policies to unsuspecting folks who then have to chase someone down to get reimbursed.

TBH you were better off self-insuring for this stuff.