Lease Price vs Purchase Price

I’ve read that, most of the time, the advertised sale price is always the “purchase price” and is typically priced lower and the same discounts are not applied for a lease. Has anyone ever had success in getting that same price/discounts/rebates applied to a lease?

Any advertised price is USUALLY (not always) not the lowest price they can go.

You can always try to negotiate better. Sometimes the advertised price in the newspaper or email is the best price and will sell fast.

Only discrepancy would be manufacturer offers that apply to purchases only IIRC.

If you have a specific car and stock# with dealer I’m sure someone can help

1 Like

Most of the time the advertised price includes some in-house financing incentive. So the $30K price for example includes a $2500 rebate if you finance. If you don’t finance, you don’t get the $2500. And leasing isn’t the same as financing. Now there could well be a $2500 lease incentive, but it could only be $1500 or $1000 or whatever.

Even though logically it shouldn’t make a difference, since leasing is still a sale of the car, the incentives are not usually the same, and hence, the price isn’t the same.

1 Like

Current example where advertised lease sales price is way better: $2k finance cash VS $6.4k lease cash on some Volvo models.

(I’m having problems posting in the forum – trying to reply with my post to see if I’m allowed. Sorry it’'s a bit off topic)

Hi there,

Here’s what’s happening. The dealer sold my father a car and said they couldn’t find the original sticker. The dealer presented what they claimed was a copy of the original sticker, and made representations about the quality of the car. My father leased the car.

At home my father found the original sticker hidden in the car. It showed the the sticker he received had been changed to remove MOBILITY VEHICLE - NOT FOR RETAIL SALE.

This was a little concerning, to say the least.

The bottom line is that I think the dealer will renegotiate a bit to make this problem go away. I am attaching the lease deal he got.

If someone can tell me what the best deal he could get was – with the dealer making $0 – that would be helpful. (I’m not saying a dealer should make $0, I’m just saying it would be good to know what he’s starting with).

Here is a photo album of the pictures

Thank you in advance. I’d be happy to compensate you for your time – directly or a donation to your favorite charity. I don’t like feeling like as my parents age they may get taken advantage of, and I worry that’s what has happened here.

It must be a loaner with virtually zero miles. They usually do that to fake sales volume and also makes it possible for them to discount it more. Although in this case there is not much of a discount.

They cannot lease or sell it I’d think, this is why they hid the sticker. No idea how Audi would approve this lease. Void the deal and get another car.

Here’s a thread from AudiWorld with 2 other people running into similar vehicles. Seems like they were to be used as loaners, but the dealer can still sell/lease it.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-s6-c5-platform-discussion-7/mobility-vehicle-not-retail-sale-2920508/

Yeah, saw it. But if it states “NOT FOR RETAIL SALE” - how can it be leased?

THANK YOU!

My dad likes this car. He doesn’t like being misled, or lied to, etc. In this case, I think the dealer is going to get him a new car and renegotiate the lease.

So the question is what should he pay on the new lease? What is the best deal he could get? (Or am I in the wrong forum?)

I definitely think what they did was shady, and bad karma. It may be against the manufacturer rules. It may be against the law, a violation of civil code, fraud, etc.

But, he does love the car. I just want to help him get treated as properly as possible.

He might want to contact corporate and get them on their asses.

In this case, it’s plausible to say that corporate might’ve offered the dealer incentives to provide the loaner cars by giving the dealer a discounted price on the vehicles with stipulations. However, the dealer just took advantage of the program and sold the cars without utilizing them as loaners. It is also illegal to sell a vehicle without the original sticker. @Jon @tvcham

Interesting. Thanks Chris. I tried to do a little research and didn’t find anywhere that it said it was illegal to not have the original sticker. I imagine that must happen from time to time - sticker gets ripped, lost, wet, etc?

Super interesting though…

It’s required by law and it’s 1K fine for EACH instance the sticker is not on the car. https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/15/chapter-28

Every manufacturer of new automobiles distributed in commerce shall, prior to the delivery of any new automobile to any dealer, or at or prior to the introduction date of new models delivered to a dealer prior to such introduction date, securely affix to the windshield, or side window of such automobile a label on which such manufacturer shall endorse clearly, distinctly and legibly true and correct entries disclosing the following information concerning such automobile—
(a) the make, model, and serial or identification number or numbers;
(b) the final assembly point;
© the name, and the location of the place of business, of the dealer to whom it is to be delivered;
(d) the name of the city or town at which it is to be delivered to such dealer;
(e) the method of transportation used in making delivery of such automobile, if driven or towed from final assembly point to place of delivery;
(f) the following information:
(1) the retail price of such automobile suggested by the manufacturer;
(2) the retail delivered price suggested by the manufacturer for each accessory or item of optional equipment, physically attached to such automobile at the time of its delivery to such dealer, which is not included within the price of such automobile as stated pursuant to paragraph (1);
(3) the amount charged, if any, to such dealer for the transportation of such automobile to the location at which it is delivered to such dealer; and
(4) the total of the amounts specified pursuant to paragraphs (1), (2), and (3);
(g) if one or more safety ratings for such automobile have been assigned and formally published or released by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration under the New Car Assessment Program, information about safety ratings that—
(1) includes a graphic depiction of the number of stars, or other applicable rating, that corresponds to each such assigned safety rating displayed in a clearly differentiated fashion indicating the maximum possible safety rating;
(2) refers to safety rating categories that may include frontal impact crash tests, side impact crash tests, and rollover resistance tests (whether or not such automobile has been assigned a safety rating for such tests);
(3) contains information describing the nature and meaning of the crash test data presented and a reference to additional vehicle safety resources, including http://www.safecar.gov; [1] and
(4) is presented in a legible, visible, and prominent fashion and covers at least—
(A) 8 percent of the total area of the label; or
(B) an area with a minimum length of 4½ inches and a minimum height of 3½ inches; and
(h) if an automobile has not been tested by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration under the New Car Assessment Program, or safety ratings for such automobile have not been assigned in one or more rating categories, a statement to that effect

Thanks! I read about Monroney last night. But didn’t see that the original had to be on the car. It does make sense from a consumer protection standpoint – else this kind of thing would happen.

What’s interesting here was that he did get the sticker – it just wasn’t on the car. So I wonder if it was a violation or just an ‘oversight’ :slight_smile:

Have you contacted the dealer at all? If so, what have they said thus far?

“Although in this case there is not much of a discount.” Can you explain what you mean? I’m not familiar with lease terms. What would a great discount be? Is it a discount on the price or on the lease %, or both?

It’s not about loaners, just check the link I posted:

Audi is pleased to announce that we are continuing the Mobility Assistance Program for handicap hand controls that are installed on any qualifying Audi model. We will also consider other types of handicap assists (or other approved handicap assistance devices.) to anyone who purchases or leases a new Audi or CPO Audi vehicle. All exception requests from dealers should be made directly to mobilityassistance@audi.com.

Discount on the price off MSRP. You should negotiate purchases/leases with the same approach, trying to get the the best sales price/cap cost before any incentives.

They’re messing with him and hoping he goes away, I think. He’s not. He takes my kids around in this car, so at a minimum he’s worried that they sold him a car with something wrong with it that he should know about. But more likely: they’re just greedy and got caught with their hands in the cookie jar.