Lease or Finance 2024 MB GLS 450

Hey Everyone, Im going back and forth on a lease v buy on a 2024 GLS. Im happy with the price which is 88k on a 98k sticker.

In terms of the lease (36/7.5k) Ive been told the residual is 58k, Im not sure how they got to that math. Residual from edmunds is 57% or 58%. Is the residual calculated on the MSRP or the negotiated price? Either way 58k/98k = 59% and 58k/88k = 66%.

My sales person said MF 0.0025 which is also better than edmunds 1A so maybe they are buying it down or something or shes mistaken. I havent seen the actual contract. The total ends up being about $1300 a month with 3k OTD or a total of $47.5k.

Financing is 72 months at 5.5% from my credit union.

Id think my family keeps this vehicle 4 years at the most.

If the MF is 0.0025 which is about 6% annually and pretty close the finance rate, isnt the lease a better choice? Say the residual at 58k is fair to slightly high, seems like its better to take the lease, have the optionality and if i love the vehicle buy it out at the end.

Its just hard for me to swallow a $47.5k lease payment versus buying it. But after calculating depreciation of about 10% a year and 5.5% financing the cost to own for three years is about the same.

Thank you.

RV is based off the MSRP. Using RateFindr I do see the RV at 59% with .0026 MF. I’m guessing the Edmunds RV’s are for the 10k/12k mileage option, not 7.5k.

If you’ve done the TCO analysis and both options are about the same then it’s really a personal decision of lease vs buy. I would typically err on the side of leasing, especially on expensive German cars.

The option to turn it in and walk away in 3 years is a huge benefit if you dont like it, or it gets wrecked, or depriciates faster than expected, etc.

Ok you’re numbers at 59% and 0.0026 seem right. Maybe I misheard at 0.0025. But the 59% seems right and they appear to calculate it on MSRP vs negotiated price which I think is fine, since the higher residual means a lower payment.

I appreciate your time to respond. Thank you.

Except in some rare cases not applicable here, RV is always based off the MSRP. The dealer cannot manipulate this.

That sounds like an assumption. Depreciation is very non-linear.

Better to look up the value of a 4yr old GLS and use that to calculate annualized costs of 4yr ownership vs 3yr leases.

Let’s be candid and stipulate that outside of chip shortage-like crises no one actually does this.

Yes for sure an assumption and agree its non linear I did it to just do a quick back of the envelope calc. Id guess 50% depreciation on 4 year. Its about 10% off msrp so I guess 12.5% is a better number than 10%, which makes the lease more attractive.

Also agree, most likely to walk away, again favoring lease.

My main thought is that if the MF is reasonable, lease seems better.

Maybe I have a misconception then, I thought the total lease payments are the difference between the residual and sale price/msrp plus the interest rate (MF).

If residual is always on MSRP whats the benefit of negotiating a lower purchase price? sorry if its obvious.

If you end up buying…sell it when your warranty is over lol

heres the LH calc

I think you’re mixing things up. If a car is $100k MSRP and the RV is 60%, then the residual is always going to be $60k regardless of whether the sales price is $90k or $95k or $100k or anything else.

If you negotiate a sale price of $90k, then your payment is based on $30k depreciation (+ rent/taxes). Whereas if the sale price is $100k, then the payment is based on $40k depreciation.

All else being equal, lower sale price (cap cost) = lower payment.

1 Like

Ok this makes sense, thanks.

1 Like

It would be quicker to look up the current value of a 4yr old GLS than to keep making these assumptions.

Idk what msrps were 4 years ago, but base now is 88k. So call it a bit more than 50%.

70k was base 4 yrs ago

Can you post the monthly payment you were quoted on the lease?

So a bit less than 50% to auction MMR. Thanks.

1275 for a 36/7.5k with 3k down