Lease, or buy used

, ,

I currently have a 2016 Dodge Charger scat pack(financed) that I am selling to Carvana next week. I was going to keep it until next year, but we found out my wife is pregnant with our second child. So $650/mo and 10mpg in the city is no longer going to cut it.
So my question is this.
I’ve been trying to lease a luxury vehicle in the Midwest since mid May. Do I use the last week of the month/quarter to continue to try and lease a luxury vehicle, my budget is around $350-$400/mo, do I buy a used 15/16 Audi S3, BMW 328/335/430/435, etc, or do I give up and try to find a non luxury vehicle. My wife wants something new because of reliability and being under warranty. Any thoughts or advice is appreciated.

What vehicle have you been trying to lease?
Do you really want to buy a bmw or audi for the long term? If you buy a luxury car probably best to stick with lexus

I’ve been trying to lease a 4 series loaner, but without loyalty or having the money to put down on MSD’s, 400 a month doesn’t seem possible. No matter what I’m not keeping anything long term. So even if I buy used I won’t be keeping more than 2-3 years.

If you can’t afford a luxury car then get a car you can afford.
If you buy and hold for just 2-3 years then you eat all the depreciation.

Best bet would be to buy something like a CPO ES350 (hardly a sporty car, but decent family mover). You get the warranty and better than average reliability.

Where do you live? If you don’t need AWD, these numbers are likely replicable on a T5 S60. It’s just a matter of which model you want and which features.

This is for a T5 Momentum with the premium package and navigation. I based it on a state that taxes payments at 7%:

If you have a Costco membership, add $1,000, and you’re sub-$400:

I’m not buying anything new, only leasing new. I’m only buying used so that whatever I buy has already depreciated. Unfortunately I need AWD. I live in Indiana

Do you have a Costco membership?

Negative on the Costco membership.

Ugh, it would be $404 with it on a T6 r-des. It’ll be closer to $500 without it, so that’s a no-go.

You can get a T6 momentum, loaded, for about $430 without Costco. It’ll go down to about $410 with less options, i.e. no nav and just use Android Auto or Apple Car Play instead. I haven’t seen any Infiniti deals lately, but since the system is dated, I’m not sure if you’d want to go that way. Volvo might be your best bet if you’re looking at cars in that class. (I’m not just saying this because I drive a Volvo and like it, more because I have shopped around for the same type of car and obviously read the forum, too.)

I appreciate everyone’s help so far. I’m looking into Volvo for now, although my heart is still with Audi and BMW. I guess sacrifices have to be made with a new small human on the way.

With 2 kids now, I would imagine you’d want something kind of roomy. You can always go SUV and grab something that’s established like a Highlander XLE (I absolutely LOVE mine) in that price range. New Rav4’s seem pretty cool too. You can always go for Acura TLX w AWD.

I appreciate the TLX suggestion. $8950 lease incentive right now. Unfortunately I can’t get any local dealers(Indiana) to give me close to 10-15% off msrp which is what I’m looking for. I actually had one dealership quote my sticker and I responded by saying that was close to an insult. I’ll keep plugging, hopefully by the end of the week I’ll have a car from somewhere.

1 Like