Lease now or in 6 months?

Hey hackers - so I’m in NY area and am leasing a 2018 340ix fully loaded killer deal $450/month (nothing down just 1st month, bank fee, dmv fee). Technically my 3 year lease on this car ended last month, but I extended with bmw another 6 months and can end that extension at any time it seems. My problem now is that I don’t know if I should start looking for another lease now or wait 6 months. Ideally would like to get into a similar class of car. I’m just hearing mixed things that 6 months from now things might get worse price wise. I fully understand I’m not going to get another deal anywhere near like I currently have, but I’m just trying to figure out if things will be more expensive in 6 months than now. I know nobody has a magic ball, but would love some perspective. Thanks much.

1 Like

In my opinion, wait. Although it’s possible things could get worse, it would seem more likely (to me anyway) that six months from now things would be better (or in the least no worse).

3 Likes

You can get a decent deal on a 2021 Alfa Guilia right now. It’s the last month they can lease them.

What are you looking to get next? “Similar class car” leaves you with a lot of options…
What budget target?

Thanks for comments so far. Budgeting below 600 ideally nicely equipped.

I would say that unless you’re looking at something hybrid or electric, now is a horrible time to lease or purchase anything (in general). Yes, there are still deals to be had…but not feasibly. I would estimate that the market will not change drastically through the spring of next year. What will come then? Time will tell. The way everything is/has been going, there is really nothing to be said with certainty.

1 Like

I’m in the same boat as you, going to wait six months to a year since I can’t see this getting significantly worse.

Only way you might score a deal is if they have something in stock for end of year and they need to move it. Granted that cars on the ground are few and far between right now, that doesn’t seem likely.

1 Like

My wife’s lease is up in 6 months so we ordered a replacement now. It’ll take 4+ months to get here, but it’s still $10k+ cheaper than getting one on a lot

1 Like

@zaimer What if one is looking for a hybrid or electric? Just asking as you mentioned it. I am in the same boat, and can wait about 6 months if needed. But, would like to get a cheap electric.

Not too sure how regional this still is, but we’ve been seeing a bunch of these all of a sudden…not a ‘cheap’ electric, but not too pricey either:

It depends…are you referring to a cheap deal as in minimal cash up front & cash flow, or cheap deal overall?
For example, the Wrangler 4xe’s currently offer a great deal, but they may not be “cheap in terms of cash flow. I.e. if we’re looking for $0 DAS for $250/mo, then it’s not your horse. Some, like the Kia Niro, have heavy lease incentives. Kia has had heavy lease incentives for quite some time vs. encouraging the traditional purchase.

The other version of the “cheap” hybrid/electric would be being able to claim the credits on your taxes. The one potential issue with one of those is you have to be OK and have the money up front. So for the example of the $7,500, you have to be able to afford said vehicle without taking that into consideration. The tax credit would be an afterthought or bonus for completing the deal…it doesn’t directly make the deal more aggressive…

Hi @zaimer Thanks for the info. I am looking for a lease, with the recommended $0 drive off. My commute is really short. My previous electric was a 2016 Ford Focus Electric, and my current one that the lease is just about to end is a 2018 Honda Clarity Electric. Have a plug-in hybrid minivan for longer distances. Have solar that I am not fully using, so an EV fits the bill. Am looking at the Kia Niro EV EX as an option, but can wait for about 6 months if needed.

What did you order?

If you’re interested in a giulia or g70 PM me. I have two dealers I’m working with And I’m in the same situation. Both below $600 with $0 down $50k cars well equipped.

For my wife, a kia carnival. I have a 4xe on order for me too.

Nice work! I was going to order myself a 4xe, but worried it won’t be a comfortable daily driver… thoughts?

It’s a jeep. They’re not quiet Cadillacs. With that said, I was impressed by the one I drove being significantly more civilized than I expected it to be. It’s replacing my audi e-tron.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.