Lease for a 16 Year old New Driver

I will do that , thanks

IMHO I doubt a new Driver will keep it under the 7.5 / 10 / 12k miles. get them the 15k or 20k!

Itā€™s about the driver needs. I drive for work and stuff, and Iā€™m sitting at 4k miles per year with a 10k MPY lease. I will say I donā€™t go out as much as others due to me working 24/7ā€¦ but nearly all of those miles are highway miles.

I think 12k is reasonable for most teenagers, thatā€™s comparable to what most of my ā€˜normalā€™ peers drive.
:chocolate_bar:

I know Hershey but you arenā€™t in Southern California. Teens in SoCal driveā€¦a LOT, and go everywhereā€¦a lot. I know that I burned 20k /yr in my car back then. And pandemic is over, so more driving! whee!

Beach, Movies, parties, Beach, Skiing, Beach (Lol) , LA ā†’ OC, LA->Riverside, Concerts, Disneyland, Magic Mountain, San Diegoā€¦ the list goes on and on.

Fair enough. You guys live it up for sure. One of my close friends Amelia moved back to SoCal after living in PA for a few years, Iā€™ve heard some crazy stories from her.

:chocolate_bar:

I drove a Ford Taurus. It was fine.

1 Like

My father owned a car dealership when I was in high school, and sometimes Iā€™d have 3 or 4 different cars in the same week.

Some were great, some were humiliating to be seen in.

Iā€™d leave the keys in the glove box when I got to school in Car A, and it wasnā€™t uncommon to come out at the end of the day to find Car B in the same spot with the keys in the same place.

Many of these vehicles lacked the latest safety features. Iā€™M STARTING TO THINK MY DAD WAS TRYING TO KILL ME.

10 Likes

I had a hand-me-down Mercury Sable. My friends nicknamed it the DiSableā€¦

1 Like

Absolutely. There is no price for safety of a loved one. If money was the issue, I would get the clunker myself and give the new car to my daughter.

1 Like

LOL coolest story ever. My dad was a mechanic so mine and my brothers cars were always bought with mechanical issues for cheap. He would repair and off we would go.

1 Like

Came in for the ā€œI drove a model T when I was a teenā€ stories.

1 Like

I, too, would consider a cheap lease for a responsible young adult. When this question came up for my 16-year old daughter in 2018, we were fortunate enough to buy a 2004 Volvo V70 with 82K miles from the original owner (every maintenance record in a folder) for only $1,400ā€¦he basically gifted that car to us because he trusted his neighbor (who, in turn, worked with and knew my older sister), and felt comfortable knowing that it was going to a good home. I bought it a bit early in December of 2017 (Xmas gift), and it now has 96K miles and going strong.

Sure beats the '82 Citation that cost $200 and had massive rust problems all along the floor board that I drove as a 17-year old in 1992! That thing was a literal death trap. It caught fire and died one year later.

1 Like

My wife first car when she got her learners permit 2015(she came to USA :us: 2012) to present
1994 integra 4 door
2017 equinox
2020 x4m
Personally i would never give anyone a brand new car who just got their permit

2 Likes

I think everyone has their opinions about what is appropriate for a first time driver. We ended up going the CPO route and bought a 2019 Hyundai Accent for $12k OTD. I wasnā€™t about to lease something for him because I still have to repair the curb rash on momā€™s car from him :rofl:

There is nothing wrong with getting a brand new Corolla for $200/mo + optional protection for the peace of mind.

Although itā€™s debatable whether prepaying for damage waivers is going to teach any YA/teen about personal responsibility

1 Like

I know. Just saying that any new car lease at $200/mo is better than any $5K beater.

4 Likes

Leaf S. Limited range is good for a teen IMHO

1 Like

Lol they just borrow Dadā€™s car

In normal times, an off lease nearly new car would strike a good balance (new enough to have good safety features, good tires, less mechanical issues but not brand new and already depreciated somewhat). These days who knows.

A cheap lease is probably fine. But frankly, the insurance could cost more than the lease payment. Iā€™d keep that in mind and compare several decently leasing new cars (to the extend any still exist!) to some nicely discounted off-lease type cars (I think Sonatas for example are still sort of well priced used even in todayā€™s market) and see how the insurance rates compare.

Iā€™ve got some time before the kids are driving, but what I might do is buy a car about 3-5 years before the kids get licenses with an eye towards handing it down to them. Something safe, normcore, with warranty that Iā€™ve kept maintained. I think thatā€™s a good route, but obviously too late for that in this circumstance.

1 Like