Lease end purchase after moving out of state

, , ,

I leased a 2019 KIA Forte LXS in 2019 from a KIA dealership in Delaware and the lease is up in August. However, a year and a half ago I moved to Pennsylvania and the car had to be retagged. Now I am in a position where I want to purchase the car at the end of the lease because the residual value is far lower than the car is worth. KIA Finance (corporate) says I have to go to a dealership to purchase the car because I live in Pennsylvania. I’m running into all kinds of trouble getting a Pennsylvania dealer to help me purchase the car. The one dealership that agreed to help wants to charge me an additional $2400 just to do the paperwork. My original lease agreement from Delaware says I have the option to buy the car at its residual value plus a $300 fee. Can I still go back to the dealership in Delaware to purchase the car? If I purchase the car at a dealership in PA I have to pay an additional 6% sales tax which I can live with but that $2400 convenience fee is really bothering me!

Call the original dealer, if they do PA tag and title work (likely), they may be able to. You are still going to owe the 6% PA sales tax.

2 Likes

You should also contact the AG’s office about this potential breach of contract.

You shouldn’t have to jump through hoops or pay more than what’s in the contract.

1 Like

I very well may do that if I don’t get a legitimate and reasonable breakdown of the fees associated with buying out the lease.

Call a few brokers here, some do buyouts with a min purchase fee.

Are documentation fees applicable at a lease end buyout in Delaware or PA?

When I leased my vehicle in Delaware my monthly payment was $204. After I moved to PA half way through my lease my monthly payment increased to $218 because the sales/use tax increased from $4 to $18 dollars. Now I want to buy out my lease. Do I still have to pay the 6% PA sales tax when I purchase the car even though I have been paying sales tax as part of my monthly payment?

If you sales tax was just on the payment amount, Your going to owe sales tax based off the buy out.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.