Lease Deal Issues with Toyota RAV4

I’m having some issues getting a lease deal together with Toyota. Harder to find people that are familiar with most components of the leasing process. And with the market so hot, by the time we make any head way the car is sold.

So I’m trying to better understand what the sales team is seeing on their side, so I can help them navigate through the weeds of making a deal.

I want to lease a RAV 4 XLE. Current model I’m looking at has:
MSRP: 32,346
Selling price: 30,500
Residual value: 21,348
MF with 9 MSD: 0.00125

With one of the sales guys I’ve been working with I’ve laid out my math equations and he agrees with them. However, he says that his computer is spitting out something different and he’s not sure what to do. He sent me a screen shot of what he’s got popping out. Is anyone familiar with these numbers and what might be going on to have numbers that are out of whack? The amount due at start is 4488 with 3600 of it being MSD, but these numbers just add up weird?

I normally dealt with Audi and never had these kind of problems with at least creating a deal. But Toyota’s on the coast at least, have had less savvy sales staff. I’d like to be able to overcome these hurdles.

Is .00125 the MF pre or post MSD?

What is your tax rate?

Just to digest the dealer screen, I’m seeing:

MSRP: 32346
Selling price: 31000
Rebate: 500
Post-MSD MF: .00125/ Pre-MSD MF .00197

DAS: 388.35
MSD: 3600

With those numbers, assuming a 5% tax rate, and a total dealer/doc fee of $241, the numbers come out almost to the penny, except the calculator is showing $3375 in MSD. May vary based on if Toyota calculates MSD amount pre or post MSD monthly.

1 Like

Rav 4s don’t lease that great they hold there value pretty well I feel the Rav 4 is a better finance candidate than lease. @Jrouleau426 what are your thoughts?

Can you share your math here so we can identify the discrepancy?

I would think the two likely areas of issue would be from double counting the $500 rebate and from using the post-MSD mf as the pre-MSD mf.

This month rav4 leases are garbage. Terrible incentives. I would buy or wait until next month.

2 Likes

Hey thanks. Thats very helpful and does line up.

The MF rate of 0.00125 is post msd.

How also does the sales tax of 645.70 fit into it?

Really appreciate the help.

I agree. My SQ5 flooded in the hurricane a couple months ago. Wifey is getting rather agitated on waiting for a car at this point. But I find a car of right color she likes and its gone in a day. Been crazy market around here.

It looks to me like that’s the total amount of sales tax paid across the life of the lease. If you take the sum of the monthly sales tax and add upfront sales tax of 5% on the $500 rebate, it comes to $645.64. Give or take a few cents for rounding/taxed fees and I bet that’s where it’s coming from.

Thanks for the help. Guy is saying the total would be 389 a month even though he was handing me this, as they thought fees not included in payment.

I was getting the taxed rebate wrong and so I had trouble with my math.

Learned alot here.

Which fees weren’t included here? Their breakdown shows $891.25 in fees included, which I assume is the $650 acquisition fee and $241.25 in gov/dealer fees. Bumping up to $389/mo would basically mean $6-700 in other fees that they “forgot” to include here.

Interestingly, $389/mo would be consistent with the DAS amount beyond the MSDs that often reflects the first month payment.