Lease Comparison Thoughts- Tesla Model S vs Mercedes EQS

Of all those brands, including tesla, only one has a level 3 autonomy system with any approvals in place

Canā€™t that be said for a lot of in demand cars right now?

BMW is up to 40mphā€¦

Looks like bmw is still pending approval

Oh, I meant for traffic jam assistant.

EQS has a really nice interior, one of the nicest out there. Iā€™d likely go with the EQS but I think Tesla looks ugly except the Roadster and funny enough the truck. Remarkable company but you have my preference.

Look into 36 months for the EQS.

Have you considered a Lucid Air? Range is up to 520 miles on a single charge.

Here is a best-case 2 year TCO calculation for a new Tesla Model S:

This data is based on a traditional purchase and finance (not a lease).

New Tesla Model S Finance @ 1.99% for 84mo
Sale Price $94,900
Down Payment 0
Actual Monthly $1211
Loan Balance (@ 2yrs) $69,120
Market Value (@ 2yrs) $85,000 (comp: CPO 2019 @ 25k miles)
Positive Equity (@ 2yrs) $15,880
Sum of DP & Payments (@ 2yrs) $29,069
TCO (@ 2yrs) $13,189
Effective Monthly $550

Apply the same strategy to the lease option, the effective monthly would increase by ~$125.

1 Like

Could still be attractive even if we keep mass printing Fugazi money

2 Likes

I think the Model S realistically will be closer to 70-75% RV in two yearsā€¦ Why not buy a Model Y and save some $$$, still a good EV but for a lot less (Almost half). Your TCO on the Y could be $250-300/mo

I think a lot of people nowadays are ā€œstarstruckā€ by the current situation of the market and believe too optimistically they will gain some equity, while they should be happy with even 0.5% of the MSRP monthly payment TCO

Like everyone else mentioned, the MBZ is gonna depreciate a bit moreā€¦and not to mention itā€™s a NEW EV so all kinks are not resolved yet.

1 Like

The Tesla Model S styling is very datedā€¦ Itā€™s basically a 10-year-old designā€¦Itā€™s time for a major styling updateā€¦

Personallyā€¦ Iā€™d rather have the Mercedes EQSā€¦

ā€¦.

1 Like

I donā€™t think the majority of EV buyers care about FSD.

But from my recent experience what will continue to be a differentiator for at least a few more years is the Supercharging network.

1 Like

It is. Itā€™s literally the same car from 10yrs ago . They havenā€™t updated the design. Havenā€™t given the head lights or taillights any ā€œ3Dā€ updates. Poor interior quality and paintwork is subpar.

People love them tho . Thereā€™s about 5-6 in my condo complex and they love raving about them. Go figure.

1 Like

Well you have 2 Tesla owners on commenting on this feed and we both bought the Tesla because of the FSD so far the majority is winning lol

EAP did it for me but have found FSD to be underwhelming.

Years ago Tesla was the only volume player in EV luxury marketā€¦ Musk was early to the gameā€¦

Thatā€™s all changingā€¦plenty of choices in the EV luxury market going forwardā€¦

Thereā€™s a reason Musk is currently selling so much of his stockā€¦

ā€¦.

1 Like

I have no vested interest in Tesla. Iā€™m not a fan of Musk and have no intentions of buying a Tesla.

However, as it relates to selling stock, he needed to exercise stock options that expire next year. Of the 14.77 million shares sold, 9.34 million were sold to pay taxes related to his options exercise, according to Teslaā€™s securities filings. He still has about 1.5 million stock options that expire in August next year.

2 Likes

10k miles here since june2020
And I supercharged 2x
And I donā€™t have a charger at home

Supercharger is nice but also a nice way to degrade your battery

I didnā€™t buy FSD, 10k is too steep
The car is fun to drive
Rather drive it than drive me if that makes sense

in big cities, yes. otherwise, the majority of people who buy teslas have charging figured out either at home or at work. i have only used the supercharger when i have too much range anxiety.

10k was way too steep for a level 2 system. It was just the stuff of pipes.

Tesla should have focused more on the supercharger network and itā€™s overall vehicle range.

I think the biggest selling points is the human-machine interfacing software and the battery range.

Both of which are being challenged in the market over the next few years.

I look forward to seeing what Tesla comes up with to replace the Model S.

Just hope they fully revise their design language.

1 Like