Lease Comparison Thoughts- Tesla Model S vs Mercedes EQS

We’ll see. I was an electrical engineering before switching over to programming. I wanted to work for Tesla for years because I believed in what they do.

I’m not blind to the market demands and the forces at play. It’s asinine to look at current Tesla vehicle quality, company history, failure to deliver on key marketed features for years, and overall market evaluation and not think Musk’s behavior and fandom play no role.

Tesla electric vehicles up until 2020/21 have gone nearly unchallenged outside of the Chinese market. For at least 8 years if you wanted a half-way attractive electric car that was cool, fast, and had a long range then there were no other options besides the Tesla portfolio.

What were the alternatives? Bolt? Golf-E? The Leaf?

Now we have EQS, Taycan, e-Tron GT, Polestar, Mustang Mach-E, Lucid, etc…

The list will continuously grow. The market is shifting quickly and I think Tesla vehicles will begin to see steep drops in value as more practical options enter. Not everyone wants to buy into Tesla.

I stand by my statements. I had always supported what Tesla was doing, but now there are just better automotive options out there.

I’m still firmly in the Buy, Never lease Tesla camp after seeing our cars appreciate over the last year.

Our MX is apparently worth 10K over what we paid for it with 50K miles on it. Our P3D is worth what we paid for it still 2+ years and 40K miles later.

1 Like

Which one of these auto makers you’re mentioning in the electric market have functioning FSD?

Before Tesla raised the MF and before they stopped 3rd party buyouts on the M3 and MY I’d “try” and argue this statement, but as it sits not you are 1000% correct.

1 Like

Idk but if I decide to pursue an Econ/business major minor my capstone will probably be a statistical look at the he economics of residuals of leased ev vs gas cars.

Will definitely keep this in my back pocket.

Ehhh functional is optimistic - it works but with a big asterisk. Self driving is very much in its infancy. Realistically I don’t think camera based self driving is safe or realistic - I’m excited for someone to prove me wrong.

Look, at no point am I stating that “FSD” is a requirement for a successful metric by which we measure electric vehicles.

I’m just saying if Elon hadn’t spent several years taking 8k/10k dollars from customers for a product he knew he couldn’t deliver, I wouldn’t have mentioned it in the first place.

Think I found the cult of Elon in here.

FSD is bullshit and the only reason a semi-public beta is even out is because the pitchforks were being sharpened.

I would sooner take a 10K cash refund each on both our cars for FSD than test that buggy garbage.

No, but this started with you stating that these other electric vehicle makers “will impact Tesla values in the long run”. I don’t know a single Tesla owner who bought into the company not caring about the FSD or even the included auto pilot option.

Tesla is more of a data collection company then it is a car company tbh. That’s what’s going to keep them successful and in the forefront for a long time to come. I’m not firmly stating that Tesla values will always continue to hold, but I see a lot of evidence pointing to the fact that it will.

There is more to this world than just Musk-ites buying Teslas.

I’m willing to bet that anyone who will only buy a Tesla already has one or as about to get one. The rest are made up of the general market writ-large.

More competition is good. This is how capitalism is supposed to work. Competition breeds development and progress.

I stand by my statements.

Those who purchased it for 2-5k lucked out for sure. Fast forward to today and I would advise against purchasing it and going with the subscription model. The technology has been there for sure, but rolling it out I think has been the challenge for Tesla. You have to think about law suits and also these idiots who got caught jumping into the back seat leaving the Tesla on FSD and filming it :man_facepalming:

My #1 complaint against purchasing FSD is that it doesn’t transfer with the car.

Just a ton of speculation in all of your statements.

It was thrown in with both our cars (Both bought as demos with significant discount) but could have taken a 6-7K price deduction at the time to leave it off.

What’s funny is that the EAP is what sold us on Tesla in the first place…

Interesting. I am assuming as a demo you had to purchase it directly from Tesla?

1 Like

Yes direct.

Our P3D even had free supercharging for a few months before it got flagged as no longer a company car. :rofl:

1 Like

lol that’s awesome. That makes sense then that Tesla as a seller can transfer the FSD, but from everything else I have been hearing if you sell private or to a 3rd party dealer the FSD doesn’t transfer. I haven’t 100% confirmed that, but I’ve seen a lot of people on the Tesla forum saying this. I think that’s BS.

I completely agree with you. They’ve been the sole runner these last 10yrs and it has been the only kool aid to drink. Even their vehicles haven’t changed much over the years in terms of design, offerings and quite frankly have been bland.

They were the only EV that was fast, cool, and got good range . Elon was flying high.

Fast forward today and everyone’s starting to catch up to them. Look at what the Germans are coming with. If it’s anyone thats going to perfect then EV it’s going to be them.

The Big 3 in Detroit are also right there. Let’s not forget the Japanese with Honda, Toyota etc .

Tesla keeps putting out these same eBay quality cars and people gobble up simply because of their range and network charging system. The interior quality seems like it’s something that was bought off Ali Baba, and their paint quality is that on par of a Maaco shop. These Teslas are modern day electric Saturn’s.

They have a lot of retooling to do with their vehicles. If they don’t, i think they’re in major trouble.

2 Likes

You know what they say about opinions :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

Service will be their downfall unless they start opening up to independents to take up the overflow or start building service centers like crazy.

That’s the #1 complaint I get from people going back to PHEV or ICE cars from Tesla. Not everyone has the time or patience to do the Tesla Service song and dance.

The thing that excites me the most about competition coming is that that should force Tesla to step up their customer service cause on a scale from 1-10 its a -1000. I am a super low maintenance customer so I didn’t have any issues with the service, but I see so many nightmare stories.

1 Like

We’re still pretty high maintenance, but our service center is generally pretty great even though it takes them forever to get an available appointment with a guaranteed loaner (they’ve given us store demos as loaners before when possible)