Lease Buy Out Mistake - Never registered in my own name and moved

, ,

Hi all,

I think I might have made a $2500 mistake… I bought out my lease while living in NJ with my vehicle registered in NJ and paid the tax to the NJ DMV ($2500) on the remainder of the balance ($28,500) of the lease value. I never looked too hard at the paperwork US Bank sent out other than the fact that the title was present and it was signed over to me. It was at this point that I should have taken that title to the NJ DMV and registered it in my own name. I did not do this because I’m dumb.

Fast forward a few months and a job opportunity presented itself in NY so I quickly packed up and moved. Without really thinking about it, I went and transferred my NJ drivers license to NY. I then decided I should get NY plates for my truck and imagine my surprise when the NY DMV told me that because I had never registered the vehicle in NJ and retitled it in my own name, I would have to pay NY sales tax on the truck ($2500) if I wanted to register it in NY. I quickly panicked and left the DMV without registering the vehicle.

My question is… can I sell it or trade it in without registering it in my name (and avoiding paying the tax twice) with just the title signed over to me? I’d be open to going back to NJ to trade it in if that made it easier. I also understand I may need to just suck it up and pay the NY DMV the $2500 but I figured I’d check with my fellow hackrs before I wrote that check…

Thank you in advance!

No, unfortunately the title needs to be in your name to trade or sell it.

Maybe you can call Triple A tag and tittle locally - I had a reg snafu when transferring my M4 lease from NYS to PA. One visit and everything was sorted.

1 Like

Do you still have any type of proof of residency to register the car in NJ at your old address, and then convert to NY after that?

How did you pay the tax at NJ DMV and not do a transfer of title ownership? Do you have any proof you paid the tax in NJ?

Some wholesale dealers will accept a released title.

Same situation but moved to AZ. May the Lord help me :sob:
I haven’t bought out the lease yet but looking to in a couple of days or so

I’ll assume the bank collected sales tax at his buyout.

OP, in the wiki where to value your car, it states some options that will take a lessor released title.

Before you jump to selling it, first decide if you need a vehicle or not.

Thank you, this list in the Wiki was incredibly helpful. I found a couple “offers” just a bit over what I paid off the car for so I may at least be able to break even or not lose a ton. Thanks again!