Lease a tesla P3D or buy

Okay Leaserati…
I know the Tesla horse has been beaten to death, but things keep changing on the costs of these things and I’m also a special and unique snowflake so here goes.
Buying a tesla p3d :
Car Price$65,290.00
Est. Loan payment
$850.37 /mo
72 months, 3.49% APRAmount Financed $55,090.00U.S. Bank N.A.
Amount Due$12,288.70
(that’s 10k down + some taxes)

leasing
4k down
10k miles/year
36 months
761/month

I could also pick up someone else’s lease
675/month, 3500 down , same terms, but no FSD :frowning:

The financials seem to suggest that buying is still a better deal. Am I missing something?
Also note, I’m definitely in for a Tesla, and really like the P3D, so I’m not looking for you to convince me I should just lease an m2 :wink:
however, I’m cognizant that with a lease someone else owns the problems. They also own the residual value, so there’s a tradeoff there…

What do you leasehackrs think? To lease or not to lease?

I don’t think you’ll get any positive feedback here, looks awful financially anyway you slice it. If that’s the car you want and you can afford it, just do whatever works for you. I’d opt to put no money down and make sure you have gap coverage on either scenario, don’t risk your cash in case it’s totaled, :fire:

1 Like

If you’re leasing I would get rid of the 4K down. Either way, this is an expensive vehicle. It will really come down to if that’s what the heart wants, then go for it. With EV tech changing so quickly, the next best thing will be out when your lease is up.

1 Like

That’s really the issue, innit? If I lease and new hotness comes out within 3 years, I just swap one payment for the next. If I buy, I have to sell a car that might not be anywhere near the depreciated value. Bit of a gamble, I suppose.

@Electric has a tread on this subject…maybe he can give you some pointers. You should do alot better as the quarter comes to an end. They had big discounts on the top of the line 3s last Q end. The idea is not to take the online deal and actually talk to sale reps…get floor models, test cars.

If you pull out your financial calculator, it will likely make more sense to buy then lease and sell when you want something else. Some variables in the equation are taxes, where lease has substantially less taxes in some states.

It’s a buy car all the way. Jury is still out on new vs used (I went with used at a very respectable discount) but with values holding the way they are buying a new inventory car (showroom fart car for test drive) seems to be the fastest way to get an excellent price on one. — I’m two weeks in on my used order for a car available locally with no purchase order drafted yet so don’t expect a scuttlebutt to take your money…

I would do a lease only if they ever allowed buyout at lease end if to at least have a chance to recover some of the money overpaid over the lease term.

1 Like

Thanks for that. Gives me a bit more confidence :slight_smile:
I guess Matt Farah had me a bit shaken (not stirred) this morning after watching his video https://youtu.be/RrGgIDqgUj4
TBH I have never considered a lease, but then again, I’ve never bought a new car, either. I’m more of a buy a nice used car, fix it, maintain it kinda guy. But I’ve always wanted an electric car, and now I can actually buy one … that goes to 60 as fast as a supercar, so …

I saw that too but I suspect he has not investigated (or cares) just how poor the lease offerings are for these cars.

If you care about value for your money, buy it. If you care about getting in and getting out for lowest potential cost of entry; lease it. It’s really a no brainer on a car that from one month to the next can have new options or features integrated without you having to set foot in a workshop.

2 Likes