Lease a Land Rover Defender?

I’m looking at one now. The two local dealers here in Texas are offering $1k off (JLR rebate) for models in stock and have several builds that have been available for a few weeks. I’m looking for a good lease deal as the dealer was way high.

Brian

I’d recommend not looking at a defender then

3 Likes

Brian,

JLR broker here. Not happening, pick another car.

You won’t see a properly specced one going to the public at a deal for a while.

2 Likes

I appreciate that. I have three other LR/RR now so I’m not in a rush. Do you think this is a 6 month issue or more?

Brian

I’m not opposed to simply buying one.I was just trying to gauge the depreciation in some meaningful manner and my CPA suggested a lease as well. The 55-60% 3 year depreciation is much higher than what I’ve experienced in the past for purchased vehicles.

Brian

I predict March-Q2 21 is when we will see discounts

2 Likes

That’s not any different from other models in the RR/LR lineup :confused:

I believe the Defender is > 6000 lbs GVW

Do you have a business you can write it off against? Just curious if your CPA had any thoughts around that

Just get a Bronco and then once a month don’t Drive it for a few days to resemble LR dependability.

1 Like

I haven’t experienced the same sort of issues people report on reliability for JLR. I have an LR4, RR Sport (2019) and a 97 NAS D90 and none have had big issues. Sure, repairs aren’t great and the dealers are really bad but there are service options!

We discussed this but the vehicle has to be a reasonable match to the type of business. Thanks for the note.

Brian

Thanks. That makes sense as the Bronco will be out around then and that build is about $20k less from what I’ve seen. They’ll have to justify the JLR pricing in that market.

Brian

Oh interesting

Have never heard that before

Just heard it needs to be 100% designated for business use

That is correct and you need to keep logs. I had a small fleet of 10 trucks and two cars in my old business and had no issues but was told that purchasing my LR had to be carefully documented regarding personal versus business use. As an example, if you make cupcakes for a living and deliver them, you will avoid any questions or scrutiny if you get say a $30k minivan versus a $100k Land Rover. That goes for sports cars as well. You just have to be able to justify it to a reasonable person (and the auditor).

Brian

2 Likes

Anyone know how these things are moving?

I have seen a couple on the streets but there are approx 150 available around Chicago.

I do think it looks good in person.

Very poorly

1 Like

considering the one I saw looked like it was straight out of 2005, I’m not surprised

Ford ate Land Rovers lunch with the Bronco refresh. Irony is the Bronco head designer is British.

How long till they start discounting? Or will Motortrend SUV of the year and Pride get in the way

There will be Pin deals long before they do. My guess is your “joke” about Pride is roughly the right timing.

Is JLR truly British any more ?

1 Like