LA County Lease Tax

Hi, I noticed my lease payment went up this month and when I contacted the finance company I got the following message, “An audit of your account shows an increase in the sales tax for your area from 9.5% to 10%. Notification was received as of 10/25/19. This increase caused your monthly payment to increase from $388.51 to $390.28.”

Has any else noticed a change in LA county?

death and taxes ! Prepare mentally for both.

By the way LA acts like a country but in reality it’s just another county. Perhaps you should fix your title.

4 Likes

It’s still 9.5% in LA County. Your municipality may have passed a local increase.

3 Likes

In some cities in LA County, such as Glendale and Pasadena, the tax rate now is 10.25 percent.

2 Likes

So glad I moved to OC. #7.75%rate

9.5% still for me in LA county (Lancaster) when I signed a lease on Sunday

Is there a website I can check?

https://gis.cdtfa.ca.gov/public/maps/TaxRates/

There are even some unincorporated parts of cities that have different tax rates than if you are in the incorporated parts of the city.

Thanks! This website says I should be at 9.5%. I think Infiniti is screwing me for $1.77/month.

There are a few different sources for sales tax rate data and some are at the county + 5-digit zip code level (not very accurate), some are at the County+9-digit zip code level (more accurate) and then a couple have it geocoded to lat/long coordinates on top of the county+zip9.

Most likely, NMAC is using a zip5 level database for their sales tax rates. A lot of lenders do the same because only a few states (CA one of them) have instances where it goes more granular than county+zip5.

Even if you call customer service and argue your point, their systems are designed to automatically determine the sales tax rate (and any updates) from their sales tax rate database. I would guess that they won’t be able to manually override the rate at the account level but it’s worth a shot.

Luckily you’re not in CO where some cities are in the 4% range and others nearby are over 8%.

2 Likes

Would it make a difference if you leased a car in Ventura county while you live in LA county? They have a lower tax rate than LA county.

You got hcked.

Tax is where u live not where dealer is

Otherwise Thousand Oaks auto mall would be packed and Keyes on Van Nuys would be out of business.

LACounty has higher taxes because they want the taxpayers to pay for all drugged out homeless people That poop on the sidewalks!

3 Likes