Joining PenFed for used car loan

Hi all
So I was looking at used car loan rates and PenFed shows around 2.9 for 72 Months that is good I think?

I was looking at eligibility for Joining and looks like anyone can Join? No need to be from military ?

Thanks

From what I recall reading, the best use of PenFed is to open an account with the minimal amount for any incentives and then forget you’ve ever heard of them.

There are lots of credit unions that’ll offer good used car loan rates.

3 Likes

+1 to both

Better sites online for finding cheap car loans, but without captive 0% I would be hitting either Bank of America (their rewards members get a discount on adversed rates, I think the top tier is -0.75% but maybe @trism can remind me) or a CU.

2 Likes

Thank you guys!
That is really helpful. I will look more then.
Appriciate any suggestion for good rates :slight_smile:

1 Like

75% is the bonus on credit card rewards at the top level (2.625%-5.25% back on everything you buy if you choose the right cards, no annual fees).

The rate discount on an auto loan is 0.5% at that tier.

This is where someone usually clicks the link and comes back and smugly asks who keeps $100k in a Bank of America savings account at 0.0000000001% APY, but that person didn’t read the list of the balances that qualify. I have to type that out, or it happens every time.

7 Likes

I think it’s safe to assume there are people lurking here with six-figure rollover IRAs parked at Vanguard or Fidelity in the “Target 2070” fund. Move that mess to ML and let your big-person retirement account save you half a point on a loan.

2 Likes

PenFed is great for new and used car loans. Tell them what the OTD price is and they will overnight you a check for the exact amount. Used them for one loan and entire experience was flawless.

2 Likes

Exactly

etc

1 Like