Jetta SEL Premium RODO deal too good to be true? (385 w/ 385 DAS)

Started browsing this forum recently and got this deal on the Rodo app for a VW Jetta SEL Premium for 36mo/12K miles. My zip code is 23235.

After talking to some dealers they usually give me an estimated price upwards to 500/month so this deal just seems way too good to be true and I’ve read some of the horror stories with Rodo so I am having some difficulty putting myself through a credit check with the possibility of a bait and switch being pulled on me. Is this price realistic or is the $500 price some dealers quoted me more realistic?

Thanks in advance for any input and if I am missing some information, let me know!

Hard pass…

1 Like

You’re willing to pay $385 a month for a Jetta? That’s absurd. $500 is highway robbery. Spend 2 minutes reading here and you’ll see what other cars you could get for either of those payments

3 Likes

Agreed with the post above. Hard hard pass. For that same payment you could be getting something a lot better.

Yikes. That’s all I’m going to comment.

It’s pretty obvious I am still very new at this stuff :sweat_smile:. I just have no idea how to go about lowering the lease price that is being offered to me but I guess doing some more reading on this forum could help.

Look on the Marketplace for dealer/broker deals. You may want to reach of to them to save yourself time/pain… their pricing seems to be at least $100/mth less than what you found on Rodo.

Research is the way to go. Take a break from shopping deals until you know what the deals should look like.

385 for a Jetta makes me sad regardless of MSRP and trim.

Let’s get you started. forum.edmunds.com, add the car you want in a google search with that URL to find residual value and base money factor (important later, read more to find out what this means!). Browse marketplace as others have said to get a feel for what brokers offer on the forum. Below is some choice forum reading, that should help you get up to speed on what to look for, how to calculate a lease, and a step by step guide another forum member put together for people not often serviced by an auto broker.

Leasehackr Lingo/Jargon and Acronyms - #2 by Drew454 ← qol read, not necessary imo.

Thanks for the help! Honestly this is all very confusing not going to lie. As someone who lives in Virginia, it seems pretty difficult to find a broker willing to do work here. Should I continue looking for a broker or would I be better off trying to do more research and trying to get my head around things?

How far are you willing to travel during these times?

NJ and eastern PA have plenty of broker deals. Depending where you are in VA, it’s a few hours drive. 3-4 hours from Alexandria will get you to most broker dealerships.

We have a BMW dealer in Atlanta on the forum, Mazda+BMW+Mercedes brokers that will sell to VA, and many would be happy to do a custom deal remotely.

Honestly, pretty far. I actually currently live in western PA but am moving to Richmond, VA at the end of this month. I’ll keep looking around at brokers near the DC area as there does seem to be a collection of them there too. Once again thanks for the reply :grin:

Hey Hershey, PA here! Good luck finding a car!

Agreed, it is an economy car with an underpowered drivetrain.

Bear

You should do some research, might be most tax-efficient to lease as a PA resident before you move.

1 Like

VW’s “generally” do not lease well…spend a few hours on this sight, so you can get a feel for how to get a better car with less money.

I suggest you do both, look for a broker and also do research just for the purpose of learning and understanding better the numbers and the process. Is always good to learn this stuff as you might need it in the future.

Find a 2018 with the longer warranty and larger motor and buy it rather than lease.

Bear