Jeep Wrangler Lease Return - Tire Question

My Wrangler 4xe lease is up at the end of June and starting to prep the car for the return. My tires are right on the cusp of the minimum tread depth (1/8) but driving the next two months might push it below, I only drive about 600-700 miles per month.

Am I better to buy used tires now and replace them before the pre inspection? Or wait until after? Just wasn’t sure if tires show up on the report as being too low, if they will expect them to be replaced with new ones.

If you are sure you are close, YES YES YES

Easy way to check, go to a tire store and ask to measure your tread depth. If any of the 3 checks (inner / middle / outer) per tire is at 4, then most likely yes

1 Like

Thanks! Just to confirm, what do you mean by 4?

4/32’s. Tire tread usually measured in /32’s. And 4 is usually min accepted.

2 Likes

Ahh gotcha, thanks!

You will be under the minimum tread depth. Start looking now and buy 4 cheap, matching used tires the same size they came with as the OEM tires (brand should not matter, but get something reasonable as a LT or something that would likely be on your Jeep). Tirerack.com will show the full brand/model range that will fit, and even they will not list all of them.

What I have done in your situation is look at the tons of used tires on your local CL and FB Marketplace that are available for dirt cheap prices in the size you need. Bring your own depth gauge to check them out and give the seller cash at half of that they are asking to see if they will take it. The used tire market is not where people are getting a lot of value vs. new prices when they sell.

1 Like