Jeep sales plummet 20% y/y

https://www.kbb.com/car-news/average-new-car-price-tops-49500/

When I bought my 2022 RX it was quickly offered at $1000 below invoice with a 5 year loan offered at 0.9%. Big discounts and low APR made a difference.

I had a 40e and a 530e and currently have a 45e.

The 45e is smoother but both the 40e and 530e (BMW 4-bangers) were MUCH SMOOTHER than any 4-cyl Jeep Iā€™ve ever driven.

Who needs smooth when I get multiple friendly waves when Iā€™m driving and the occasional rubber duck.

2 Likes

Maybe if they didnā€™t price themselves out of almost of every segment theyā€™d have some leverage. 60-70k for a GC is outrageous no matter the features.

1 Like

I was being generous. But if you will take a Ram Big Horn you can get a crew cab truck for under $50k. Not many people do but itā€™s a totally passable non commerical truck. My father in law has leased a few of them and they do everything you need if you donā€™t care about luxury and tech.

1 Like

Stellantis will sell a bunch of these if they are close to the claims they are making.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/04/05/business/ram-rev-electric-truck-500-miles/index.html

The size of the battery pack required to propel a full size truck 500 miles is gonna be cost prohibitive. How many people want a $90k EV pickup? Doesnā€™t seem like a high volume market.

1 Like

People are and have been paying $90k all day long for a F-150 Lightning with far less range and towing capacity.

A $90k EV pickup the size of a 1/2T that can tow 14k pounds 250 miles between charges will not sit on the lot very long if at all. The insane numbers of large TTs and 5th wheels that are out there alone will make sure of that, aside from the pickup crowd that dailies a 1/2T, pulls horse/stock trailers, boats, contractor trailers, etc.

I think the ā€˜averageā€™ or economy brands (ie: non-luxury) have increased prices considerably compared to their luxury counterparts. 53k for a BMW X3 with most options a person could want or need is not too bad. Now take a Ram 1500, add in even the most basic features by todayā€™s standards (remote start, heated seats/steering wheel, etc), and the V8, youā€™re going to be close to 55-56k.

Yes, I know someone looking at an X3 doesnā€™t really consider a truck but at the end of the day, even a nicely option Big Horn should be around 48-50k at most, IMO.

2 Likes

Agreed. But to me that seems like a real big stretch. Motor Trend had this to say about the big battery pack (131 usable kWh) F-150 lighting.

ā€œIn MotorTrend testing, an F-150 Lightning Platinum saddled with a camper that nearly maxed out its 8,500-pound towing capacity couldnā€™t even cover 100 miles.ā€

Is Stellantis, a company with relatively little EV experience, going to really produce a truck so superior to the F-150 EV that it can tow 14k pounds 250 miles. Absent some battery breakthrough, they are only accomplishing those numbers by putting a 200+ kWh pack on the car. And at that point you are talking Hummer EV pricing.

1 Like

Yesā€¦ theyre going to do it with a gas engine.

1 Like

Ah the REX solution.

TBH I wouldnā€™t mind a little generator paired with a 5-8gal fuel tank ā€” throw some fuel stabilizer in and fill it with corn-free gas.

Its really the right approach, at least until battery energy density gets a lot higher.

3 Likes

Jeep just released a refresh today on the wrangler and they still canā€™t update their powertrains. Nobody wants that underpowered v6 or the 4 cylinder, when will they get this lol. Mazda understood what the consumers want and their new inline 6 is going to take quite the market share from other brands.

What would you like to see in the wrangler thats possible without a platform change?

It is 229 kWh and it is likely it will sell at a comparable price to the others.

The straight 6 twin turbo they already have in the Wagoneer, if it had a hybrid system with it as well thatā€™d be even better. Itā€™s a smoother engine with more power and Iā€™d take that over what is slightly better MPG from the current engine options. Iā€™d prefer to have a Grand Cherokee since I would be driving it daily, but they need to be more competitive. Right now Iā€™d take the Mazda CX-90 Turbo S Premium Plus over the Grand Cherokee everyday.

1 Like

The one that doesnt fit and would require a platform change, so its not going to appear during a minor mid cycle refresh?

2 Likes

Shouldā€™ve been a platform change instead, but Iā€™m not interested in the Wrangler anyways.