Jeep Lemon Buyback

Leased a 22 4Xe Rubicon last year (through Clutch and Mark Dodge). Got a pretty good deal back when interest rates were still at an all time low and I absolutely loved the vehicle. Then about a month ago it wouldn’t start.

Its been at the dealership here in SoCal for 28 days now, needs a full replacement of the High Voltage battery and system and the part is still stuck in a warehouse somewhere according to the dealership.

Corporate / Jeep Cares called me today to let me know the status of the part and that they’ll be calling back in 2 days on the 30 day mark to discuss Buyback options. It’s clear they know it’s a lemon and don’t want lawyers involved.

There’s no point in getting a lawyer if they’re not trying to fight it right?

What should I be asking for, how can I get the most out of this situation?

Most retail lemon law attorneys will evaluate your case for no charge or obligation.

I would suggest you do this, with an attorney you trust. It can’t hurt to check your options. Jeep’s interests are not aligned to yours in a matter like this.

Important: do not mention an attorney to Jeep, and keep detailed notes of your interactions.

I’ve heard good things about this guy: http://jkashanilaw.com/

2 Likes

My biggest concern with getting a lawyer is that from what I’ve read the most they’ll get you is a buyback, which in this case would involve early termination of the lease + return of all payments. Their interests aren’t necessarily aligned either, they just want their legal fees paid by Chrysler. Whereas Chrysler is motivated to give me a better deal so they don’t have to pay legal fees.

I consulted with a lawyer last week and they said their goal is to get a full buyback. Now that Chrysler is already offering that I’m not sure what more the lawyer can add.

I talked to a former coworker who hired a lawyer to deal with his Lemon but he said he has friends who got a much better deal negotiating with the dealer.

3 Likes

Well I think that’s your answer then.

My main question is more around the negotiation. I’m hoping to get insight from other’s experiences of what I should be asking for during the negotiations in terms of money / discounts on new vehicle / etc.

I mean generally the outcome/options are full buyback or a comparable replacement.

Since you had a crazy low payment you may want to push for a replacement, though I could understand if you didn’t want another one of these.

1 Like

CA has pretty cut and dry calculations for a lemon buyback.

With that said, i have worked eith an attorney in ca and negotiated lemon buyouts that werent limited by the calculations.

Personally, I think it’s worth it just for the lack of headache to use an attorney.

3 Likes

As you said, the manufacturer and the purchaser are free to negotiate beyond what the Song-Beverly Act requires for a warranty issue in California, as long as it is not less than the minimum required as to any aspect. Does not have to be at all “cut and dry” on the calcs and generally you are free to get whatever you can from the manufacturer as agreed upon mutually by the parties.

Can vouch for Jacob. He’s done 2 of my cars and I refer all of my friends/clients to him. Love that guy.

3 Likes

It depends on what does full buyback mean? Original sales price of the car or does it just mean get you out without any remaining payments?
Did they give you a loaner? If not will they cover the rental?

Typically it means something like

( total out of pocket ) * (125000-mileage the first issue was reported)/125000

Wondering if the $7500 counts as out of pocket or not:)

On a lease, I would not expect money you didn’t pay to count.

On a purchase, I would not expect a tax credit to be factored in.

1 Like

And the better deal was what?

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.