Jan-22 vs Jan-21 Top 10 Used Cars

Just came across this graphic and the Audi A6 just jumped out at me. I remember seeing a lot of people grabbing the A6 in the $300-400s around here several years ago, but haven’t seen a lot of mentions of them coming off lease.

Anyone here cashed out a slug of equity on their A6?

1 Like

Volvo S60 is bad comparison. It was previous generation in 21.

1 Like

The thing that jumps out to me the most is that a lot of these are now trading for what you used to (and might still be able if you find one) be able to buy a new one for. The Chevy Sonic, Kia Rio, Kia Forte, Prius, Versa and Grand Caravan were all easily obtainable new for those prices. The S60, Mazda 3, A6 and I3 could’ve been had for those prices with good incentives.

I get higher offers from Carvana than I paid for my XC90 loaner in 2019. The car has been 3.5 years in service.

1 Like

Yup, I know, it’s crazy right now…

Where can I find dealers offering $32k for my 2019 BMW i3? :rofl: :rofl: I remember getting quotes from those usual suspects last August and the best offer I got was like $23k. I believe BMWFS now doesn’t allow 3rd payout so it’s probably a moot point anyway.

Update: Just checked with Carvana. They are still only offering $23k for my i3 w only 9k miles.

What you getting. Thought about getting rid of mine but would need to buy out and even worse than that is getting something to replace it with.

Wish I could do a crazy V90 or S90 lease.

Trying to order a Defender, but the XC90 lease is up in June. So not sure if I can get it by then. Will need to buy out first, yeah.

1 Like

This graphic should probably note that these are the 10 used cars that have gone up in price percentage most over the past year. That fact is in the article but not the image. It is interesting that these are mostly cars with relatively low sales numbers. We don’t see any of the best selling cars or trucks on the list.

Nevertheless an interesting graphic. Image paying that much for a Chevy Sonic :cry:

This ^ Edmunds/KBB is notoriously slow with updating their data. Usually they run 3-4 weeks behind what actual MMR/Book Value is. I don’t even really know how its possible given they’re under the same umbrella. For example: They were (in general) light on their valuation in November (using October as a benchmark) even though cars were doing moonshots at auctions. Currently they are way higher than they should be and for the most part haven’t baked the market correction into their valuation tools.

2 Likes

I think that observation gets at the supply/demand imbalance that has been this chip shortage.

Go to BMW website and see what dealers are selling it for. It will give you a good idea. I realize there are many factors but will still give you a great barometer. I believe?