Issues with BMW Dealer > Detail/Paint Department

I’m not sure if others have had this issue before, but for the last few times my car went into the service department, it seems like the detail and/or paint personnel ended up doing more damage to the car than when it arrived.

My latest return of the vehicle was to buff out a scratch that ended up on the rear drivers side of the car after having a spoiler replaced under warranty.

The car came back with rough swirl marks where the buffing was done, a couple of long scratches on the leather thigh extension bolster for the drivers seat, and overspray on at least the front and rear windshield of the car (my assumption it that it’s all over the car) — presumably from touchup paint work that was done during the same spoiler replacement.

I’ve only been dealing with and interfacing with the service writer at this point but it’s been a few days and they haven’t responded to my requests for a repair on these items. They claimed the ‘managers for those departments’ have been looped in. I haven’t heard back yet and that was last Thursday.

I’m curious who I should contact at the dealership that might hold responsibility for this? My gut instinct says to go straight to the GM, but I’d assume maybe the normal Service Manager would be a first step. Are Detail and Paint usually managed underneath the Service Manager’s desk for luxury dealerships?

FWIW I also got the car single-stage paint corrected recently (about two weeks before it went to BMW for the repairs), with a 3 year ceramic coating. I’m wondering how overspray on the vehicle would affect the longevity or resilience of that coating if it needs to be clay barred or wet sanded to remove the overspray.

Good chance that they farm out the detail/paint work. But if you contracted with them to do the work, then start with the Service Manager.

1 Like

Start with service manager and escalate to GM if necessary. Don’t overstep.

But dealers aren’t known for great detail work so you’re probably fighting an uphill battle.

1 Like