Is this normal or did I get played? Lease/Trade-In *Resolved*

MSRP is largely useless metric. Above or below MSRP never meant much, and means even less today. What one should be comparing against is market value.

1 Like

What confuses me is that you spent all this time trying to get an info from internet strangers about your deal.

1. Why wouldn’t you discuss this issue so it is clear to you when signing papers?

2. Why wouldn’t you call to the dealer and ask them when your check will arrive?

I am not trying to be rude, but this whole thread doesn’t make any sense.

If you have questions about the integrity of the party you are dealing with, would you trust the answer given by them?

1 Like

This forum has a great reputation for cutting right to the chase, with brutal honesty if necessary. Dealerships do not.

1 Like

Where have you seen this? Edmunds target price is $1200 over. I haven’t seen any deals posted on LH for '22 with a discount, unless I missed it.

really? where?

You do not do deal if you have questions about the integrity of the party you are dealing with. Especially, you do not blindly sign papers without understanding how the deal is structured. If not sure I will literally ask again twice so there is no “misunderstanding”.

I get it if OP forgot to ask when he is getting a check when signing papers, but I would expect any reasonable person to call the dealer to get the info on when the check is coming before posting questions if he was played…

The same place he got this:

1 Like

Here’s a dealer in South Florida with an internet price discounted over $1k right off the bat.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/6c652f3b-2fdc-4db7-939f-31b29e61b8b5?aff=share_other

In order to accuse the dealer of being dishonest, you need to actually ask them questions first.

OP is looking at the contract now and numbers do not make sense to him. Why this was not addressed with the finance person in the first place? How can you sign papers without understanding the deal?

The most important question is why after NOT asking questions at the dealership and looking at the contract again OP decides to ask questions here without giving a dealer chance to explain the deal again?

I mean come on. How do we know when the dealer is going to mail the check? No honesty or integrity of this community will be able to give him an accurate answer! The dealer should be able to provide the answer if only OP reached out to the dealer…

P.S. I am the one who despises the dealership model.

Edmunds TMV on a 2022 XT6 is $500 over MSRP yet I just bought one 5% off MSRP and got $1,500 more than Carvana, Vroom, or Carmax offered for my trade.

Also, KBB tells a different story on pricing…their fair purchase price is about $1,100 below sticker.

Hahaha. No, no, have you seen anyone actually PAY $1500-$2500 under like you said. You obviously didn’t bother reading that dealer’s fine print.

Prices shown do not include dealer fees of $999.95, electonic filing fee of $499.95, taxes, license or a destination & handling charge. The destination & handling charge for ILX, TLX, RLX, RDX, and MDX is $995, $1,025, or $1,045, NSX is $1,800 or $1,995, and PMC editions is $1,995. Actual vehicles/accessory costs, labor and installation vary. Please consult your selected dealer.

Ah yes, the ol’ show a discount but we actually aren’t including the entire MSRP in the MSRP trick. That’s the first time I’ve seen that come from a dealer in FL.

3 Likes

Or it could be that it’s actually happening since even people on Edmunds forums are reporting discounts over $2,000 off MSRP.

Just because you don’t see this in your area doesn’t mean it’s not happening.

It certainly could be happening, but a dealer advertisement with intentionally misleading numbers isn’t evidence of it.

I’d also take a single post on edmunds of an ordered vehicle that hasn’t arrived yet, with no evidence backing up that it wasn’t a similar story to above, with a grain of salt.

Lots of assumptions in your replies. I still appreciate your point of view.

Of course I asked every question from the dealer before signing, of course I asked explicitly about the equity check and had the finance manager make a notation of it, and of course I asked when it would arrived ( he said 2 weeks). And of course I did email them yesterday about this and the finance manager replied that yes indeed there will be a check in 2 weeks or so.

Obviously whatever explanation he offered made sense to me at the time the way he explained it but at the end of the day they can say whatever they want specially in a complicated setup like this one. and doesnt mean anything.

That wasnt what I asked. Nowhere did I say I am accusing the dealer of anything. I simply asked if anyone had seen a contract written in this way where a check is due back to the customers but there is no real indication of it anywhere in the contract.

I would definately take the comments from members in this forum (specially trusted hackrs & brokers) more to heart that any dealership employee.

4 Likes

Yes, but don’t avoid the $10,000 elephant in the room where he gets a check back for basically nothing, if he simply turned in the lease instead of selling it. So effectively $500/mo for a brand new MDX lease in this shit market.

1 Like

The title kinda implies that you are. But hey I trust a car salesman as far as I can throw him, and that ain’t far.