Is this normal or did I get played? Lease/Trade-In *Resolved*

can’t sell a HFS lease to them.

So you think there is a chance I’ll see this check?
This is a rather large dealership in SoFla. I would be surprised if they pulled something like this but you never know.

Considering you have it, in writing, then yes, I would expect it to be fine. I’m sure they’ll take their sweet time though.

I did but didn’t want to deal with hassle of buying the car, Pay taxes, and then resell. Plus had some damage that had to be fixed. But that’s neither here nor there. Deal is done. Just worried about that equity check lol

1 Like

Like I said, it is legal matter if they don’t - those hand written and signed notes carry full weight of the contract.

I am puzzled why you didn’t insist on cutting the check there at a time of a signing, but what’s done is done.

2 Likes

Truth is I have sold some cars in the past and it’s always been mailed to me so I didn’t think twice. Definitely a lesson learned

I think you are going to be fine. But yeah, next time try to settle everything right there - will save you some worrying.

Thanks. Coming from a Trusted Hackr it for sure makes me feel a bit better.
They told me 2 weeks. I guess we shall see. I’ll update the forum.

1 Like

Should be fine, like others said, but I think you were supposed to initial the bottom “OR” part and not the one above it.

Thanks. Getting a bit more confident now.

Yeah. I had signed all this and the manager was done. I then asked about the check as I hadn’t seen any mention of it in the paper work and that’s when he added his note and the extra signature.

2 Likes

Ok I just ran a calculator just to see how the deal actually works out…

Looks like they sold you the car at $610 ABOVE the MSRP of $53,445 plus their $899 dealer fee (guessing here…but it doesn’t matter it’s all money going to the dealer) , $595 acquisition fee, and it looks like $161 in DMV fees.

The only good thing is that they didn’t mark ip the 0.0008 MF.

This is what I came up with…

1 Like

Sounds about right.

I am pretty comfortable with the actual deal considering it is $0 DAS and current market. I would have never gone for this type of payment pre-shortage/covid/etc.

The strange contract is what threw me off.

Believe it or not prior to today I considered myself a hackr as I have been following LH for years now. My other 2 recent leases I signed this past March are a 540i and A4 where I was thrown out of manager’s offices as a nutcase but deals were eventually done in true LH way.

Today was humbling!

2 Likes

So two things here.

1). They owe you a check for the balance on the summary sheet. That’s like their version of a “we owe” or “too due”

2). The accounting on the contract looks funny because they wanted to sell you the car for sticker and they can’t show the equity lowering the value below sticker. So they showed it rolled into the deal and internally will cut you a check back.

They sort of did you a favor because the cash back you’re getting is technically a capital gain. If you sold it privately that would be taxable income. However, since it’s rolled into a deal it’s just part of that structure.

Most dealerships do not cut checks same day - they need to add it to their accounting schedule and find two check signers which is a little bit difficult to do in the middle of a business day. They probably also are going to pay it off and wait for title before cutting you a check.

It could take 2 weeks or it could take 2 months but you’re going to get that money.

19 Likes

Thanks for the thorough post.
As long as it comes lol

Personally…I always say…“No
problem, Ill wait here for the check and will sign the paperwork at the same time” :grin:

4 Likes

looks like you made out pretty well in this market, getting a check and a car I think you’ll like alot

Just a random data point but two leases ago I was due a check back from the dealer for $8k in trade equity and it took about a month to get.

At no point was I worried that I wouldn’t eventually receive it, however as things always tend to go in these types of situations (anytime anyone owes you money, especially the gov’t or a corporation) it can just take a while.

In my case I gave it about two weeks and then became a polite squeaky wheel and emailed the sales rep and finance manager every 3 or 4 days checking on the status.

1 Like

Buying a car above MSRP is making out pretty well? Hmmm ok…if you say so…

Paying $600 over MSRP if the market is supporting $5k over MSRP would be making out pretty well. (Not to say if that is or isn’t the case with MDXs currently)

2 Likes

In this case, the MDX doesn’t warrant paying above sticker price. People are still getting $1,500-2,500 off MSRP on them.