Is this a deal? Ford Edge ST, 2020, MA

Hi all, new to leasehackrs and new to leasing in general. Thinking about trading my Alfa Giulia in to take advantage of high used car values, but that likely means I need to scoop up something new. Leasing makes great sense as I don’t want to be worrying about maintenance on an older car with a couple of kids and I like switching cars up every couple of years.

I found this 2020 Ford Edge ST with a large discount over sticker, but it’s more than I was hoping to spend and I don’t know if I love the car. If I’m only owning it for a couple of years, then perfect! The link to the car is here:

The description for the lease deal is here:

Lease this 2020 Ford Edge ST (Model #: K4A) . With $7,626.00 down at $379.26 for 36 months with approved credit . A $0.00 security deposit is required. Due at signing payment of $8,005.26 includes first month’s payment. Lessee responsible for maintenance, repairs, excessive wear and tear, and excess mileage over 10500 miles/year at the rate of $0.25/mile. Early lease termination fee may apply. All tax, title, government fees, bank fees, vehicle registration fees, and $595 dealer doc fee are additional. Total monthly payments are $13,653.36 . Option to purchase vehicle at lease end is $24,911.60. Total capital cost of $38,046.00. Financing available through Ford Motor Credit Company. Offers cannot be combined with any other advertised offer. See dealer for complete details. Lease and loan quoting is a dynamic process so payments and terms are subject to change prior to contract execution by all parties. The payment quote above assumes that these taxes and fees will be paid at the time of sale by the customer in addition to the down payment amount stated. If these taxes and fees are not paid by customer at the time of sale, the quoted payment will be higher since these amounts will be included in the amount financed. Residential restrictions may apply. In stock units only. Dealer installed accessories/upfits are extra.- Offer Expires: 07/06/2021

So, it’s $379 a month but $8k down. I can’t tell if that’s a good deal or not. Looks to be a ton off MSRP, but I can’t read the lease the way you guys can!

No! Forget you ever saw that ad.

Most cars do not lease well. This is truer now than it has ever been. Which means you cannot start your search with a particular car or cars in mind, and then find a way to make them lease well.

It will be like pushing a boulder uphill while pulling teeth, and you’ll still probably have a bad deal in the end. You need to start your search by filtering only the vehicles that are leasing well right now and offer good value per dollar.

Check out the “Share a Deal” and “Marketplace” sections of LH forums to decide what’s leasing well and pick a vehicle that is already proven to offer good value.

Remember, there are no magic wands that can save a deal from poor programs (RV, MF, and incentives) and/or poor discounts.

1 Like

Oh my word. Where to start.

• most advertised lease deals, like this one, are not worth your time
  • The ST trims do not lease well.
  • Before you go any further, get the residual/interest (Ford doesnt use moneyfactor)/incentives from edmunds for BOTH a 2020 and a 2021 to see what the residual difference is

My guess:

• this is not a good lease target because it’s an ST, and because it’s a 2020

No it isn’t. It’s $379 per month with $8k down and then tax, title, fees, add ons, etc extra. That’s easily about couple thousand dollars.

That makes this Ford edge lease almost $700/mo when all is said and done.

You have to read the entire ad

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.