Is there any way out of this Volvo Lease? Help Needed

Hi Everyone,

First, I am not looking for sympathy as I write this. Just some help. In November, I lost my well paying job. I decided I would start my own consulting company, but as anyone who has ever started a business knows, it’s a slow burn. We would have been fine, until my wife was diagnosed with a brain tumor just a couple of weeks later. Medical bills have begun to pile up. She will be okay, thankfully.

I leased a 2023 Volvo XC90 in May of 2023. Current buy out is $54,700. In December I called and asked Volvo what my options were, and the only choice I got was an $11,500 ETF because of the stated wholesale value of $43,000 per VCFS.

Is there anything I can do? Any ideas I haven’t thought of? I have learned a lot through this process, mainly, that life is unpredictable and I should expect the unexpected moving forward. I just don’t quite know what to do right now. Volvo won’t allow a 3rd party lease buyout, and taxes in CO on the vehicle alone would probably be around $1600.

Between a rock and a hard place and appreciate any help you can offer.

ETA: KBB value is $49,900 Trade In, $53,520 Private Party. I do have a $7500 MSD on the vehicle.

Thanks

2 Likes

You can buy the lease out and then sell it or you can trade it in on a cheaper volvo.

I’m sorry to read about your situation. It’s terrible. You need to write volvo corporate a note detailing it and keep escalating it until they agree to take their car back.

9 Likes

I honestly haven’t even thought of that. I’m going to give that a try. I hate the thought of asking for sympathy from them, but I really don’t know what else to try. Thanks for your comment, and note. I really appreciate it.

Do you think just Volvo North America, to start? Sorry, just googling around.

Thanks again.

1 Like

Hope it works out for you guys

1 Like

@djrabbi may want privately share with you how he got out of his MB lease.

1 Like

Vovlo will take back the car with a “termination fee”

We did that with my dads prior to getting EQS. We just called them and they said they valued the car vs payoff and had to come out of pocket. Instead of us making 16 more payments of $871… they told us to pay $4200 or so and walk away from the lease.

Reach out to VCFS and ask if there are any hardship exceptions to turn-in your lease early, and briefly explain yours and your wife’s situations. You can call or message through the website. If they decline you, ask if there is an appeals process.

On rare occasions we have seen reports of vcfs taking leases back early. Can’t hurt to ask.

Good luck to both of you.

3 Likes

Nah, tell him the story how you convinced MB to take your dad’s EQS back lol

1 Like

Ohhhh. Well everyone thought my dad died so they will take car back. I never said he died lol

MBFS took back the cause he couldn’t drive anymore due to replaced knee caps. They gave me a bunch of run around for a few weeks. We settled on just paying $1000 fee+disposition+ termination fee = $2300 or so. We were told $1000 originally but they said some “new rules were implemented”

They did give me the option to transfer but many members on here were asking for incentives, cover transfer fees, shipping, etc. Just told MB to charge our business card of the amount so we can write it off against our taxes as an expense.

7 Likes

See if somebody will assume the lease (probably will cost you some $$$ to incentivize)…if Volvo allows?

1 Like

Yeah, that’s where the $11,000 comes from. They are saying that’s the difference between my buyout price and the wholesale price.

1 Like

I sent an email to Volvo Cars NA. I’m not expecting a ton but hoping. We’ll see if they respond.

Awww man yeah that sucks

Maybe get into a nissan Ariya and dump negative equity into it. Basically it will be a 18 month loan.

How can I get into another brand, I thought they won’t let me even trade it in as it’s considered a 3rd party buyout?

You pay the 1600 you mentioned earlier.

The only option that doesn’t cost you money is to beg for Volvo to forgive it…otherwise its going to cost you $$$$

I got it, buy then trade in. Thanks

A post was merged into an existing topic: Please keep all your “wanted” ads here - Part 3

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.