Is there a place to talk about general car topics like lane centering?

Is there a place to talk about general car topics like lane centering?
For example I’m wondering if there are any minivans that have this tech.

1 Like

Yes, in this Off-Ramp section.

2 Likes

Interested to know!
My current research shows Tesla>MB>Volvo>BMW>Honda, not sure about others

By greater than do you mean lane centering or RVs or do you mean better lease deals ?

According to this article lane centering on MB is unusable.

Quote: THE REALLY BAD
Steering Assist
With the system active and with both hands on the wheel, I fought it constantly. Once, when I trusted it enough to take both hands off the wheel to rub my eyes, I barely caught it before it led me right off the road. This is an immature technology. It shouldn’t have been released, and I honestly don’t know the use-case for it.

BMW and Honda have lane keep assist which isn’t quite lane centering. Tends to weave in a lane. Is that right?

I worked to make sure my wife would have this kind of stuff on her car since she does so much highway miles on her commute. However she hates it all. Haha

The lane centering on Lexus at least makes it feel like you are fighting the car the entire time, kind of tiring after a while.

So have left the lane keep alerts on, and use the adaptive cruise every once in a while. But lane keep assist is permanently turned off

1 Like

Yeah, lane keep assist can be irritating. Toyota/Lexus is coming out with lane centering starting this summer. It is calling it lane tracing assist. Hasn’t said which vehicles.
http://corporatenews.pressroom.toyota.com/releases/toyota+expanding+industry+leading+safety+technology+package+second+generation+toyota+safety+house.htm

1 Like

My mom has an 18 mdx and I thought the system worked quite well. Stayed pretty dead center without weaving unless you were on a sharp corner. I test drove the g80 and thought the same but not as good. X5 did a lot of weaving.

1 Like

The autopilot system on the S90 was tough to get used to. It drove too close to the lane for me when another vehicle was passing me and sometimes it struggled staying in the lane when you approached an exit ramp with dashed lines. Also the lane keeping system needed to be tied to turn signals as every time I wanted to change lanes (and used my turn signal) there was a huge amount of resistance to overcome which was unnerving.

2 Likes

What year was the volvo s90? Hopefully it has or will be improved soon.

It was a 2018. Also, I think if I lived with it for awhile I would have gotten used to it.

1 Like

I used one on a Prius, it’s useless.

I hate to say it, the autopilot on Tesla is a dream. Pony up and get one for wife, there is no going back to normal driving.

1 Like

Yeah, toyota has lane keep assist. Mid 2018 they are going to start coming out with lane centering which is much better.

I got it on the loaner Camry, same crap, it just drives over the lane, beep and jerks it back.

1 Like

Just realized my previous list seems not correct, based on members’ experiences.

Except for Tesla, And idea which brand is the best in terms of performance of lane centering?

1 Like

Things are changing fast on this subject. Mobileye is releasing their new eyeQ4 chip , so car manufacturers are releasing cars with new tech. For example new 2019 Audi A6. Tesla autopilot is currently rated the best. What do think about this table? Lane centering - Wikipedia
Here is a car and driver article that compares four different systems:
https://www.caranddriver.com/features/where-are-autonomous-cars-right-now-four-systems-tested-feature

One of the reasons Tesla is rated the best, is that it requires less hands on the wheel than other systems like Propilot, which requires constant hands on the steering wheel. Another reason is that it receives improvements every few months.

2 Likes
Super Cruise is Cadillac's version of Autopilot, designed for hands-free highway driving.
It's more limited in where and when you can use it than Tesla Autopilot, but it consistently makes the driver feel safer and in better hands than rival systems.
It still has flaws, but if General Motors deploys it to other vehicles besides the CT6 it could instantly become the unrivaled leader in semi-autonomy.
1 Like

This is why the Tesla one is the best one. You can receive updates over the air. My Tesla drives differently today than it did a few months back when I bought it, all thanks to over the air update. I never thought it would be a big deal, but getting back into a car with new features does make me feel like I am driving a different car. When I get into a normal car, I find myself constantly looking for the AP stalk.

1 Like

I agree completely. It’s nice when it works, but it’s a lot of resistance to overcome when it’s close to leaving the lane. One time my S90 did completely cross over the lane boundary at one point and into the rumble strips!

Forget the lane centering, I think the adaptive cruise is actually more important. I drove a Camry with it. It is a horrible car, but the adaptive cruise made it liveable for a weekend

1 Like