Is Leasing a good option if I need 15K miles per year

As my name implies, I am a tired car shopper, been looking for a bit. I’ll try to keep it short.

1st car bought after college, kept for 18 years, started looking when it died. Research lead me to leasing after learning that most cars even the $40K+ ones depreciate about 50% in the 1st 3 years.

My only sticking point is that I currently have to drive 40miles/day to work, I do WFH some days.

I see lots of deals but mileage is 10K for the luxury (BMW, Volvo) and the 12K Toyota are for the trucks…non-favorable mpg.

I’m in the Chicagoland area (btw I am shocked that Chicago isn’t a hot leasing market). I have been following the threads for out-of-state brokers(Toyotas) but I need every bit of my 12K miles so driving back from NY/NJ/PA is something to consider.

Toyota Avalon Limited with Cognac interior was my car of choice but I am learning that they don’t lease well(Sept quote from Edmunds : RV = 41% for 36/15K).

I am open to different makes but I am particular to a non-black interior. Started looking at SUVs due to higher RV to accomodate higher miles…but then lower mpg is a concern.

Is Leasing a good option if I need 15K miles per year?

Yes it is.

And honestly with as complicated and gadget/gizmo ridden as new cars are getting I’m not sure I’ll ever own a car that isn’t a weekend toy or of older vintage again after getting bit with out of warranty (out of pocket) repairs a few times.

I say this as someone who averages over 20K/year. We balance this out as the Mrs only drives 6-7K/yr. (We’re also temporarily leasing 3 different cars.)

3 Likes

Think it this way; For most captives, it’s an extra 3% reduction of RV to go from 10 to 15K miles/year. So on a $40k car, it’s $1,200 or $34 more per month. No brainer in my mind since you are likely paying $300+ for 10K and you are getting 50% more.

Above 15K miles per month is questionable especially as the RV are non-standard for some captives and can drop considerably.

To find the right car, just watch the board including broker deals since most have high RVs or huge discounts. You should be able to find something that meets your needs especially if you are willing to travel.

Otherwise check out Swapalease as you may be able to find cars with 1,500+/miles remaining per month.

2 Likes

People lease 15k per year all the time. That’s not an issue.

The bigger questions IMO are:

A. If you hate car shopping, do you want to do it over and over again every 2-3 years?

B. If the car you like doesn’t lease well

Then you may be better off buying it and holding on long term.

3 Likes

If you don’t like car shopping then go through a broker.

1 Like

I don’t necessarily hate car shopping, its that I can’t seem to find what I want. I don’t think my requirements are too lofty :slight_smile: , I just dislike the standard black and gray interior that comes in most base models.

To me its simply, (1) beige/tan/almond/“whatever the make call its” interior, (2) leather seats, (3) moonroof, (4) a couple of safety features. That seems to put me at the highest trim for most makes or makes it hard to find.

BTW at work, will respond later in the afternoon.

I’m also in the Chicagoland area. Leased my BMW X5 with 15k miles and M340i with 12k miles recently and got pretty favorable lease deals on both. Chicago may not be a hot leasing market in comparison to the northeast/southwest, but for the midwest you can actually find pretty good deals if you’re willing to work for it.

A. I thought about that, but I think I’m leaning away from the buy & hold mindset. I work for a consulting company so there is a chance that I could be back to traveling for work if I get an out-of-state client (got a local client)

B. I’m willing to lease something else besides the Avalon…but the more I shop around, the more cars I like lol. I mentioned the Avalon to give a view of what I like.

1 Like

Not sure what your budget or size options are, but you can get everything you listed in a lower trim Volvo S60 which lease great and there are plenty of brokers that will bring one to you.

1 Like

I think that’s a smaller car than the Avalon, and …smaller than the Camry. right?

Mid to Full size sedan is preferred and I’m looking at the SUVs/crossovers now. I loved the XC90 :grin:, the Blond Interior, panoramic roof, all safety features…but I don’t really need a 3-row SUV. For a good deal, I’ll take it though but I don’t know what a good deal on those would be.

Price point : I was going to go up to $500, 6 years for a new purchase but would prefer to stay closer to $400 for a lease.

Yes, the s60 is smaller than an Avalon.

There are some great deals on some lower spec xc90s available right now. Take a look at several of the brokers on here.

Thanks fellow Chicagoan. I’m wiling to wait and work for it but unfortunately I’ve hit my threshold on the amount of money wasted on renting cars (car has been dead for a while).

I think I’m going to work with a broker…just need to narrow down my list.

1 Like

Thanks Britten440, so wherever I see a deal at 10K miles, just add 3% of MRSP / # of months. Great!

So Swapalease is a good place to get lease transfers? I checked out our forum for this but not a lot of options. I did see a ES350 on Swapalease that is close by but I wasn’t sure. Leasing, lease transfer are all new concepts to me, very eye-opening to say the least.

What about leasing a car with a 36k 3yr warranty? do people buy extended warranties or risk it??

1 Like

The best case for a 24 month lease or for leasing a luxury vehicle with a 4yr warranty.

Some with more local knowledge can chime in, but aren’t there additional taxes that Chicago levies on car leases, which make it significantly less enticing financially?

There’s an 8% “use tax” levied on top of the Illinois state tax, but that use tax only applies if you live within the city limits of Chicago. Those living in the suburbs of Chicago are not subject to that use (aka bullshit) tax.

Yes, I forgot to ask about this. 15K/36 months will exceeds that warranty. Thank you very much.

I live in the suburbs, so I will be exempt…thank goodness and that would explain why leasing isn’t popular in Chicago.

There’s a growing epidemic of failing push-button starts that leave drivers stranded, in park, and unable to even move or tow. Untested tech rushed to market will not end well.