Is it a bad idea to lease last year's model today?

I’m looking to lease a car in the next couple months, and currently debating between a Subaru Forester Limited and a Honda CR V EX-L.

Seeing some lease offers on the CRV on Edmuds in the $300 range which feels decent, but with the 2020 model on the horizon, is it a bad idea to lease a 2019 car today rather than waiting for the 2020s to come out?

Why would you possibly care what year it is if it’s the exact same vehicle and the prior year leases for less? The the entire point of a lease is to make depreciation someone else’s problem.

8 Likes

It’s a lease…who cares. You’ll pay less for the leftover 19, and provided you aren’t planning on buying it out (shouldn’t lease to buy anyways), and there’s no option on the newer one that you want that doesn’t exist on the older one, it’s a no brainer to take the older model.

4 Likes

It’s a lease…who cares. You’ll pay less for the leftover 19, and provided you aren’t planning on buying it out (shouldn’t lease to buy anyways), and there’s no option on the newer one that you want that doesn’t exist on the older one, it’s a no brainer to take the older model.

thanks, that makes sense! I’m new to leasing and still going through the “stupid questions” phase. lol

1 Like

Search for the CRV EXL deal that was shared a few weeks ago

@max_g is this the deal you are talking about? It’s a good deal and discount, but its also from Cali, not here on the east coast.

We try to replicate don’t we? Good thing the OP is close to the 2nd largest US market after SoCal

He’s 2-4 hours from some other major markets as well…Philly, DMV, NY…he’s definitely got options.

1 Like

Makes me feel for those stuck in uncompetitive car markets.

Personally I would choose to do this if the new model doesn have anything you are in need of because theyŕe typically going for much less. The problem I am having is there is just far less on dealer lots, so if you want a specific model or color it has become difficult for me.

If the car is the same more or less I’m going with the one that costs me the least by way of additional dealer discount, increased manufacturer incentives, inventory influenced residual adders and if applicable subverted interest rates or any functional combination of the above.

1 Like