Is a bmw m2 comp a good idea to lease/ finance for a college student?

How’s it going folks!! I’ve been seeing a lot of good things about this forum and how the community is all looking for the same thing… DEALS! So I’m currently in a 2004 Honda accord v6. I’ve had it for about 4 years now and its starting to make noises and give problems. I have to change the shocks, do a wheel alignment, change the rods, the gear mount is loose and the ball joints. So instead of paying for all of this I was thinking on just getting a new car. i Was looking to either lease or finance an m2 comp but I see that the cheapest monthly payment is about $700-800 and that’s without insurance. I would love to be in this car but is it worth it? Or if you guys have any other suggestions on what I could go for I would appreciate it . I want some sort of a luxurious type of feel when I’m driving. I have a nice job that pays well for my age right now. I don’t pay any rent but i do pay for college, my phone, insurance and some other other little things. Thanks for the help in advance!

1 Like

No.

End of discussion. Sincerely, a high schooler.

Not enough, I’m splurging with a 290/month net cost (including insurance) post tax on a Volvo (Upgrade coming soon, stay tuned), and my broker business on this forum more than covers that. I’m more concerned about if an idiot in my parking lot nudges my bumper in my parking lot than I am about driving something nice. I have max coverage, 100/300k and $500 deductible and I still hate having to be nervous about a junior in a $500 econobox hitting my car.

I won’t sugar coat it, have you even looked at insurance, you probably can’t afford it, and 10k a year towards transportation? For adult people, that should not be that significant chunk of your income, especially for a college student, you’d be better off, A. Saving for a home, B. Paying off tuition, C. Not putting it towards a depreciating asset of a car or paying for BMWFS’s depreciation .

8 Likes

Have you had prior auto leases or loans before?

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:
(Monday mornings on LH are awesome)

8 Likes

:point_up:t2::point_up:t2:

Your read time on the site is 29 minutes. Have you read through Leasing 101?

Have you read through the credit thread?

Generally “what should I get” posts don’t last long here, but the first lease should probably be more like your Accord, less like an M2C.

8 Likes

Wait until you are in your 30’s…Buy a house before you buy a BMW.

6 Likes

An M2 Comp does not have a luxurious feel. It’s a high performance car with sports everything including ride quality.

Get a 2000’s Lexus LS430 for about five grand.

2 Likes

no i haven’t leased any car yet but my parents lease and as well as my friends. I say college student because I’m in college now but i took a 2 year break and worked my ass off so that’s why I’m just throwing out an m2 to you guys. I would love to hear what you guys think i should lease instead. And also im not too worried about credit because my parents did say they will sign for me. Now i could put myself in a cla250 for about 420 a month and just stay at that but id like to fun and go fast for my next car.

I’d buy something cheap that you don’t care a ton about and invest your money elsewhere.

3 Likes

As another young person that does pretty well for themselves, no.

End of discussion P2

I find the more I advance in my career the cheaper my cars get lol

Went from an F10 M5 (Lifeguard) to Alfa Romeo Giulia Ti Sport (Sales) to CPO 2017 Corolla Manual (Sales Manager).

A car is just a car. Unless you can buy a vehicle in cash several times over I don’t believe you should buy / lease it. Maybe that’s just me though :man_shrugging:

5 Likes

Which you absolutely hated. BTW what were the reactions at Disney when you pulled up in an F10 :laughing:.

1 Like

Wait, do you have good deals on any Volvo’s!? Only half kidding.

Life’s short, if you worked your ass off and have $40k to blow, go for it. I’d rather get a used Lotus for that kind of cash though.

1 Like

One of my coworkers bought a Lexus IS-F when he was 19. His insurance was about 600 month and 900 for the car. He totalled the car 6 months later because he’d speed around everywhere with it. I do not recommend someone so young getting a car with so much power. Younger guys tend to be stupid and stupid and power don’t mix well.

1 Like

When I was 24 I bought a 2003 m5 which was 6 years old at the time only to quickly realize two things. I’m either going to go broke or loose my license. Needless to say I sold it to my friend six months later who totaled it two months after that. So my answer is to save your money and get it later on in life when you are more responsible and less reckless.

2 Likes

You do whatever you want, but free advice from an Internet stranger: you probably won’t want to live home forever, don’t let your car payment become a limiting factor. A lease isn’t forever, but a lot changes every six months.

What you have here aren’t real requirements, they’re subjective (and I’m never going to drive your car, so what does my opinion matter?) - what you don’t have is a budget.

Good or bad, if you lose your job for 3-6 months (since millions are going through it), how much can you afford every month, all-in, payment/insurance/gas and the occasional “oops I blew a tire” (says the guy who replaced 10 tires and 2 rims during his first 3-yr lease, a wrx)?

Once you have a budget, and have read the leasing 101 several times front to back, drive everything in your budget that interests you, and a few that don’t interest you.

When you know what you can afford that you want, sign the papers. Don’t impulse buy/lease a car if you are remotely interested in a good deal for you.

No matter how much you sink into your accord, it is still cheaper to drive it forever, so don’t use that as justification.

3 Likes

An 800/month payment sucks even when you make a lot of money. At least if you pay cash for something cool you get the pain over with quickly and don’t have to be reminded every month about how you’re wasting your money.

1 Like

I’ll never forget overpaying for my BMW and a one pay would have been easier to swallow than a monthly payment and monthly reminder!!

1 Like

Da fuq? Really, @ethanrs?

2 Likes

Yep.

Blizzard Pearl 2017 Corolla SE Manual :unicorn:

I drive 30k miles a year I needed a beater

3 Likes

Ain’t no way in HELL my kids will be driving a $700/mo car while leeching off me at home!

6 Likes