Interesting lease experience yesterday (4/10/20)

With Corona in full swing, a family member need a car. For this experience make and model does not really matter

Went to the nearest dealer expecting crazy discounts and deals and we were presented, after an hour of back and forth, an offer of $406 mo, tax in. We pushed for another thousand off and the dealer held to their guns, let us leave.

Went to another dealer, same brand and they offered to match the selling price but due to additional dealer fees financing mark up were at $423 for a car that was $395 less MSRP

Third dealer, same car, $523 month, offering only the published $2000 factory incentive

Went back the next day and decided to lease the car from the first dealer.

I was surprised especially at the third dealer because all three were virtual ghost towns , that the would not be dealing just to drop inventory

How is this “interesting” from your tag I assume you are in Florida? Why should dealers in Florida give away cars for free? When we get to the other side of this we will likely have a shortage of cars? If anything cars are going to be much more expensive now because if you are buying a car now the dealer knows you are captive. Everyone looking for a deal or to get a car just because is going to wait this one out to see if they have a job after this is all said and done.

3 Likes

The lesson as always is to solicit quotes via email before setting foot into a dealership. I’d double down on that advice right now as well during the particular conditions to avoid social contact as much as possible.

4 Likes

TL;DR
*OP went to get a new car.
*Thought the virus would net him a steal.
*Three dealers later he leased from the first dealer.
*Uninteresting thread

18 Likes

:man_facepalming:

3 Likes

Why did you go to the dealer without already having an agreed on deal?

4 Likes

Clickbait

This was anything but interesting

10 Likes

Your strategy could use improvement but at least you shopped around.

Hope your family member enjoys their new ride.

This was with a family member who “liked the Jeep Wrangler”. Never drove one, was coming out of a 2009 Camry. So before calling dealers I figured best to at least drive one and make sure he likes it. He did and of course discussed options. While doing research online at the dealer, we were expecting a certain discount off of MSRP and this dealer was very close. I also find many dealers will do better in person than over e-mail or the phone because in person they know the buyer is likely more serious. I was surprised that one of the dealers was unwilling to discount much, in fact they stuck to MSRP minus the national advertised factory incentive.

Half fallacy, half truth.

I’ve closed some real nail biters for clients and myself in person before but always always always with a minimum expectation in writing after prior contact via email/phone/text.

3 Likes

Especially if you’re running a fever and sneezing often.

All this time driving around and playing games with dealers could have been spent on the email and phone with every dealer in the area. That’s the opportunity cost. And I think 99.9% of users on here find that email and phone is a better use of time, while going in person may help to squeeze the last few bucks out of the deal.

This post about a mystery car with unknown details in anytown USA is pretty much useless but I’m glad you got it off your chest?

5 Likes

You will never convince me that you went into negotiations adequately prepared based on some research you did while sitting at the dealer and got the best deal only cross shopping 3 dealers with minimal info.

1 Like

You could have gotten a mazda for 89 a month if you had searched this forum and vhooloo’s corona special BEFORE leasing.

3 Likes

You went into the dealership to negotiate instead of doing it over the phone or email during a pandemic? JFC. Florida will be the reason this ruins the summer

4 Likes

Mazda does not make a Jeep Wrangler.

Because the owner had never driven a Jeep, we started by making sure that was the vehicle he wanted. After negotiating went home, spoke with three other dealers, visited one other. After doing research online and speaking with other dealers, determined that this dealer was offering the best deal and we felt it was very fair.

This thread is uninteresting as others have pointed out.

OP is complaining about deals he received, but ultimately ended up leasing a car at the first dealer whose deal he thought was not good in the first place. To each is their own.

Hope the family member enjoys their car.

1 Like

CDJR dealers are in my experience #1 in playing games and general chicanery. I would totally get into selling their product if I can just find an honest shop.

3 Likes

This reminds me of the time I was debating going back to Jeep (had a 2000 GC from 2000-2002 and a 1996 GC from 2002-2012 [it’s still running as far as I can see on Carfax, too!]). They wouldn’t even let me test drive a GC because they thought I “couldn’t afford it,” despite me driving up in a more expensive car and carrying a “only” a Prada bag, though an older one because I was just coming from the gym.

1 Like

I can just imagine the smile on the first dealership’s CA and SM’s face when they saw these guys coming back :joy: :joy: :joy:

2 Likes