Insurance under different person

I’ve been wondering where everybody went after craigslist closed casual encounters

1 Like

Must’ve been tough not be able to hook up. :grin:

When I recently changed to a new (less expensive) insurance company, they asked me about 5 different questions to make sure no one young was going to be driving my car. I suspect the rates are going to be really high for a 17 year, especially if the OP is male.

1 Like

Take the bus kid. Save your money. Invest it.

1 Like

Should not be a problem. My brother leased a Mazda for my mom. The only reason is that because he has a Mazda, he received a $750 loyalty bonus that my mother would not. She lives in the same state, different county/city. So my brother leased the car, it is registered to my mom at her address and she handles the insurance. So my brother is responsible for the lease

1 Like

Just an FYI, this also has major tax and legal implications. If a car is staying in a certain place, it MUST be registered to the person’s address in that state. Also, if it is being used in a state other than that in which the sales tax has been/is being paid, it is subject to use tax, which is essentially sales tax and is the same rate in most states. I HIGHLY recommend against registering it at your address for reasons that are too numerous and detailed to get into, but should they get into an accident/get a ticket/etc., there’s going to be a shit storm, FYI.

1 Like

Is your mom on the lease as a cosigner?
Ex: Is it possible to register the car to someone else at their address if they are not on the lease ?

Isn’t that considered a Straw purchase?

My mother is not on the lease. The car lease is in my brothers name but insurance and the registration is in my mothers name.

1 Like

This thread is still going?

2 Likes

we want to see how this ends, like the arrest, trial and sentence. :grin:

1 Like

BPitch, yeah, car insurance thread is still relevant :slight_smile:

I would typically agree but not in this instance. If you have to think of creative ways to acquire something so familiar or otherwise uncomplicated, it probably should not be done or attempted.

1 Like

Lol fair assessment.