Insurance under different person

Does anyone know if I lease a vehicle in a relatives name can I insure it under my name? Because I’ve done it on a financed vehicle but don’t know if it’s possible on a lease.

https://www.autolist.com/guides/straw-purchase-cars

2 Likes

You need to rephrase that, your relative leased a car and sometimes you drive it. You will need to add yourself as a driver to the insurance, along with the lessee

1 Like

Im asking if my relative leases it for me can I insure it under my name?

So without telling us your life story or exposing yourself as a fugitive from justice, what’s the big idea?

In my experience as a prior guest of Holiday Inn Express; As long as the garaged address is the same and the policy states that borrowed vehicles by people (OP in this case) not specifically excluded from coverage are otherwise covered then…well…

I didn’t see nothin’, You didn’t see nothin’

4 Likes

See my first post

7 Likes

Read @jeisensc’s link above. Insurance question aside, you’re proposing a straw purchase, which is illegal. If they co-sign for you, that’s a different question, but the way you phrased it, it’s an illegal transaction.

20 bucks says someone will chime in and say “so what,” or “nobody will know” and they’re right, to a point. 1) they aren’t responsible if you get caught So it’s no skin off their back, and 2) you’re committing bank fraud, so you better hope you don’t get caught (accident, theft and recovery, etc…)

6 Likes

The problem for me is that I am 17 and I cant lease so my relative agreed on letting me leasing under there name.

Lol, good luck with that. It’s not a great idea all around which has been pointed out and you might find it difficult to insure it with your age.

Lil’ sketchy. I’d read the policy and or lease agreement docs really carefully before anyone signs anything. That being said, if it’s your parents signing a lease for you and letting you drive with you on the policy it shouldn’t be a big deal (again; RTFM first)

1 Like

Leasing bank requires certain amount of coverage and I don’t see how they will allow someone who’s 17 and not on the lease to insure their car while the lessee doesn’t carry insurance.
That’s on top of what was said before about the legality of this transaction.

2 Likes

What would be the best way for a 17 year old to lease a vehicle? Or there isnt?

Are you legally emancipated?

2 Likes

I am not legally emancipated

Then ask mom and dad (if present and accounted for)

3 Likes

The fact that you’re 17 probably changes the fraud argument a bit considering that there probably isn’t a state in the union that would let you sign a legal contract, let alone own a car legally until you’re 18, so your parents would have to own it to get it registered. That said, you should contact your insurance company instead of asking a bunch of unknowns on the internet for advice on what to do in your situation, especially since you are a minor. You may likely also pay more for the insurance than the car payment due to your age and inexperience.

2 Likes

If money is no object, I don’t see why his relative can’t lease a car and add the kid as additional insured.

4 Likes

Thanks you!

Being he’s a minor, that’s the only shot at getting a lease. It ain’t gonna be cheap though.

1 Like

legal issues notwithstanding, I can’t imagine the cost of insuring a teen driver on a brand new car with lease-level limits is worth the money.

1 Like